Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PicKit 2 development programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunedwolf

Hey folk,

I am in need of a small programmer for a little on-site work, I don't want to lug my Xeltek around with me, so my thoughts immediately turned to the PicKit 2.
As much as I love microchip products, I also love a bargain, which is what brings me to this post.
I opted instead for a clone from Sure Electronics off of fleabay...£17 quid delivered, about a tenner less than from Farnell for the Microchip original. I decided I could live with the 5-7 day delivery time from HongKong.
It arrived today, beautifully packed and in good order. In fact, it really is a clone, right down to the casing, although not just quite the same quality as Microchip's own gear, its damned close.
A quick firmware update later, it performs admirably and without hiccup.
The package also arrived with a spare casing, which, if you are clever can be used for something else useful, and a packet of various headers and cables. It also comes with a small PicKit 2 demo board with a couple of switches and leds on it. In all I think it's a bargain for the money. Anyone in need of a small handy PIC programmer should consider this one along with the Microchip version. I just thought I would share this here :)

rgds

Here's a link to their ebay shop...

hxxp://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sure-Electronics_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Here's a photo of what you will receive, I didn't photograph the box it came in, but it was completely wrapped in polystyrene inside a thick, sealed polythene bag, which snugly fitted inside the small box, with definitely no chance of transit damage unless it's run over or something.

**broken link removed**

I have used Sure Electronics a few times for various things over the years, this is the first time I have bought a clone programmer from them however. They are pretty reliable in my experience.

I agree with your points as posted, fleabay can be a minefield for the uninitiated, and I too have been burned, more than once, with stuff that I have bought from there. I do however feel that my experiences with fleabay, on balance, are much more positive than negative, and I still believe that for the most part, people trading on fleabay are pretty much honest, sometimes a little misguided perhaps, but generally honest. It's usually fairly obvious from their feedback how good they are at standing by their word. I really only get burned with things that I have considered very carefully, researched fully, pondered over then finally bought on impulse !!

Sure Electronics guarantee a money refund, or replacement item if for some reason the item is not received. They also sell a whole host of other devices, and as the $ exchange is favourable, they are cheap at the moment !!

rgds :)

I just recently bought my first pickit2 clone from them, they sell some really nice and cheap electronics in there store, ive made several purchases from them, great prices on LEDS and LCDS of all colors :)
I just love saving money :)

Our new "BB0703+128K" and "BB0703+256K" are PICkit 2 based design too but with more features:

This is the second generation design based on our popular "BB0703" (PICKit 2 based) products. The "BB0703+128K" and "BB0703+256K" come with all enhanced feature of "BB0703", plus the following new enhanced features:

1. Buck/Boost voltage regulation circuits are now standard on all "BB0703+" family. This feature guarantees the ICSP programming working correctly even when USB power supply dropped down to 3V.

2. Native support of 256K EEPROM on "BB0703+256K", no hardware hack is necessary to take the advantage of 256K memory for programmer-to-go (PTG) feature.

Other major features:

* Full implement of Microchip-recommended PICkit 2 circuits
* plus unique enhanced features such as: external power supply, RJ12 interface, buck/boost voltage regulator etc.
* Well designed hardware, no "Vpp pumping" is required
* Dimension:3" L x 1.72"W x 0.81"H (77 x 43.5 x 20.5 mm)
* Color: PC white or Black
* USB power supply: 5V 100 mA
* USB connector: Type B or Mini-B
* Enhanced extra power supply (Optional): 9V 100 mA, positive center
* ICSP interface: RJ12 6-Pin
* Chip support: baseline (PIC10F, PIC12F5xx, PIC16F5xx), midrange (PIC12F6xx, PIC16F), PIC18F, PIC24, dsPIC30, dsPIC33, PIC32, and Microchip Serial EEPROM products
* A RJ12 6 pin reverse cable included, BB0703+ can work directly with board developed for ICD2/ICD3/RealICE for programming and/or debugging

Details are available at:
BB0703/BB0703+ family: Enhanced PICkit 2 systems from Au Group Electronics
User Manual is available at:
BB0703 (PICkit 2) User Manual

Funny N.
Au Group Electronics, Au Group Electronics: Home for DIY Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back