Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit 2 - Build or Not 2 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

art-666

ok title is naff,

but as the pickit2 circuit has a variable voltage converter, just what I needed for a project, but changers would be needed.

I thought I would build one out of my junk box. the reason being if I did not have the part, redesign for parts I did have.

build went well. it was done in stages, 20 Mhz Osc, "usb A" socket (not the mini-B),the leds. I left off the 24lc512 as they are not being used at this time.
I used a 18F4550 as one was to hand. pc seen it as a pickit2 and reported power supply was at fault. (well most parts where not fitted) :).

Next I added the VDD TGT ADJ , op-amp and Q1, the VPP Voltage pump and all the components up to ICSP J3 pin 1. (VPP)

as the only Inductor I had was 100uH (680uH on the pickit2) I took the wire off it counting the turns, and rewound it with a smaller wire gauge x7 the original turns. (I think this is out as the voltage on VPP is some times reported as low in the Tools Troubleshoot Screen) also my meter reads low 7V.

As of now I can auto detect and program 16F628-04 on run programs on low pin count demo board. (some times it says Device Not Present - to fix this I download Pickit2 Firmware and it sees it again after Pickit2 is reset)

When I use a 16F690 I get Unsupported Part (ID=FFE0), I think I need to work on the Inductor to get the voltage right.

Has Anyone else had a go with this yet.

Regards Art

I didn't try to scratch built one, I just bought one. It works pretty well. Much better the the
old programmer that I had.

kingpin094

Yes I bought two, one as a back up. (I added the ISCP to one so I could flash it with the second one ie. replace the bootloader if needed, I was going to use the pcb as a prototype)

my build is to understand the Vpp pump, and the U2 & Q1 Variable Voltage with feedback to pin 2 controlling the 2V5 to 5V0 VDD_TGT.

the pickit2 Vpp pump is almost the same circuit as the one for AN258.see figure 1-1 and the pickit2 circuit.

this is the part I was using for my project, and using the pickit2 front end as the gui. I am able to control the output for a power supply over usb.

still learning the vb6 code, and trying mods to the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back