Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

picking up watch freqency

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_lowestoft

Hi I looking into trying to checking the frequency of the oscillator in watches that use crystals around 32kHz without opening the case its the front end where I have a problem with any ideas.

I'm not sure what information you are looking for. The clock frequency is more than likely 32.768khz.

Hi yes the clock frequency is more than likely 32.768khz but what I want to do is check this frequency without openen the case eg receive the frequency via a wire loop and ampifie it or somthing then i can feed it into a pic to check the frequency.

That seems like a very strange thing to do. Considering the amount of power a watch crystal uses in the first place I doubt it puts off a detectable amount of RF energy.

I presume you are a watchmaker? I remember a few years back my father had such a device that done analogue as well as digital watches. From what I recall the watch was placed on a tray and had a tuned radio (RF) antenna picked up the transmissions.

morningside said:
I presume you are a watchmaker? I remember a few years back my father had such a device that done analogue as well as digital watches. From what I recall the watch was placed on a tray and had a tuned radio (RF) antenna picked up the transmissions.

I know of a watchmaker that specialize in the old watches that used a tuning fork for the freq. standard. The device had a microphone that heard the frequency and amplified it and beat it against a standard (I don't know what).
That is about all I remember about the device.
To detect the minute amount the RF in a metal encased enclosure might be difficult but I think there should be a good chance if the back was off the case.
However it should not be to difficult to make a phase comparesen between the one second audio beat and the one second beat of an atomic clock.

Hmmm. Thinking about it must have been (for digital) a rf receiver with a very high gain front end with a bit of filtering connected to a frequency counter.
You are right about the analogue side of things but I do remember the watch laying on a tray.
The resultant display was given as drift in seconds NOT frequency and part of per day. I presume the makes it easier to tune (for the layman) than saying 32.764434234 KHz :)
As well as the quartz digital ones what about the tuning-fork version? I presume the all resonate at 32.768 KHz and divided to give 1 Hz

Last edited:
Hi

Yes you correct its for digital watches in plastic cases one of my mates work with watches and want to check the frequency of the oscillator without opening the case. I said I think about it and I believe the problems are in 2 parts.

1 how pick up the oscillator frequency .

2 display results.

I know I can design a frequency counter and display the results in the required format using a micro eg. a pic but the front ends the problem.

Any ideas
:) :)
steve

steve_lowestoft said:
Hi

Yes you correct its for digital watches in plastic cases one of my mates work with watches and want to check the frequency of the oscillator without opening the case. I said I think about it and I believe the problems are in 2 parts.

1 how pick up the oscillator frequency .

2 display results.

I know I can design a frequency counter and display the results in the required format using a micro eg. a pic but the front ends the problem.

Any ideas
:) :)
steve

Are you talking about watches with analog displays?
If so you might use the one second tick to trigger (through a mike & amp) a counter in the "periode mode". I dont know if this would give you the requierd calibration accuracy but theoreticaly it should be possible. It would certently be a lot simpler.

I guess........

steve_lowestoft said:
Hi

No the watches have digital display its not going to easy but if can pick up the frequency the rest is no problem

steve

I guess you have to experement. Make a coil (156uH) large enough for the watch to fit inside, paralell it with 156nF (it should resonate at a little over 32Khz) and follow it with a high gain op-amp. Look at the output with a oscope. This should tell you if it is possible detect the osc freq.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back