Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic18f4550 ISCP problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbertMunch

Hi, can anyone think of any reason why my olimex icd2 works when i connect to the 40pin dip version of the 18f4550, but not the smt 44-tqfp version?

I have a professionally manufactured 18f test board with a 44 pin smt pic on it, but the icd2 wont connect. MPLAB allways says that wrong target ID is connected.

I have tested and retested the ICSP connections, all are fine.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Chris.

Hi bill,

Ive got a schem of my board, but not the of the other one.

This is my first go at smt pics, its not going well!

Ive basically just soldered on the pic and a ICSP header, and soldered on the (bottom pcb side) blue jumper wires.

This is allways the first thing i do when i make a new board. If the ICSP doesnt work, then somethings not right.

MPLAB doesnt recognise my board, or the other pro. one. If i connect up a previous project (uses a 4550 40pin pdip) and i can get the stupid olimex programmer to work, then MPlab connects without problems.

Please tell me im doing something foolish, i just cant work out why it doesnt work.

Ive trashed three 4550's on several copies of my board, i kept thinking that i had ruined the chips through ESD.
Lucky ive got my trusty (if not slightly vulgar) AOYUE rework station.

Anyway ive now come to the conclusion that the chips are ok.

everything in the schem s unconnected, just the pic and the icsp are soldered to the board.

Cheers bill.

Attachments

• schem1.png
    schem1.png
    40 KB · Views: 1,599
  • board1.png
    board1.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
yeah i noticed that,
I cont checked the pro board and found that it was wired up to the multiplexed pins though.

Ill whip up another basic board, that simply has 2 headers and a 4550. Ill connect one header up to the dedicated and the other, the multiplexed pins.

I hope this works.
thanks mate.

i didnt, it still wont enter debug mode, and it sometimes wont program succesfully.

Still waiting on my student loan, to buy parts.

icd2 will work with every board i have tried, apart from these smt ones.

Hi Herbert
Did you notice the schematic and Layout, at pins 28 and 29. I fear, Vdd is shown connected to Gnd and Vss to 5V as per the schematic? It should be otherwise I feel. Same is the case with pins 6 & 7. please check .
This will sort it out.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
Plz check whether u hav connected the Vcc of ur target board & the pin No. 2 of RJ11 from ICD2 r shorted.
Regards,
Renjith..!

This doesnt explain why the Professional board doesnt work, but i really dont care as long as my boards work.

Does anyone know if the dedicated ICSP port has to be turned on before use (i.e config bits)?
If it does, it strikes me as slightly foolish, having to config the pic using legacy ports first.

HerbertMunch said:
Just tried it, it works!

Once again, nice one sarma:)
Happy that the Chip is ALIVE with all the trouble it had with reverse polarity. Thanks for the compliment-- there is nothing about it. i looked at it with open mind and with no prior bias in my mind while looking at the problem.
You are lucky that the chip is working.
Thanks again

Last edited:
mvs sarma said:
Happy that the Chip is ALIVE with all the trouble it had with reverse polarity. Thanks for the compliment-- there is nothing about it. i looked at it with open mind and with no prior bias in my mind while looking at the problem.
You are lucky to to save the chip.
Thanks again

thats the good thing about these forums. I tend to have a fairly closed mind when it comes to problems with my own boards.

I have probably ruined about 4 chips in total, whilst removing them from the board. Not to worry though, it works now.

cheers mate:D

HerbertMunch said:
thats the good thing about these forums. I tend to have a fairly closed mind when it comes to problems with my own boards.

I have probably ruined about 4 chips in total, whilst removing them from the board. Not to worry though, it works now.

cheers mate:D
Herbert, I wold not used the word "closed Mind" but perhaps you might be under tension about why NOT of the issue. this tension is what I claimed not in my mind while looking at the diagram. That way I am with you burning a 18F2550 while trying to program it. These things happen now and then-BTW, Try to purchase a Hot Air Gun to prevent further damages to chips. you can save a lot. If you come across a chinese model it won't be costly and with little practice , it serves well.

Last edited:
mvs sarma said:
Herbert, Try to purchase a Hot Air Gun to prevent further damages to chips. you can save a lot. If you come across a chinese model it won't be costly and with little practice , it serves well.

Ive got a crude AOYUE rework station. Its just my first time using it! I roasted a few chips, and almost burnt a hole in one of my boards! pratice makes perfect i suppose.

Chris:)

HerbertMunch said:
Ive got a crude AOYUE rework station. Its just my first time using it! I roasted a few chips, and almost burnt a hole in one of my boards! pratice makes perfect i suppose.

Chris:)

I would only wish best of successes in future, Herbert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back