PIC18 and USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mity Eltu

I am having trouble with the pic18 simulator demo program. I copied the program exactly as it appears on the website (reposted below), but when I try to compile it I get the error "Support for USB implementation not enabled". I don't understand this error. The simulator is set to use 18F4550 with 20MHz clock. If I read the config words right, it looks to me like the USB hardware is enabled. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this to work? I have struggled with USB ever since I started with microcontrollers more than a decade ago and have never managed to get one to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Define CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 20
Define CONFIG1L = 0x24
Define CONFIG1H = 0x0c
Define CONFIG2L = 0x3e
Define CONFIG2H = 0x00
Define CONFIG3L = 0x00
Define CONFIG3H = 0x83
Define CONFIG4L = 0x80
Define CONFIG4H = 0x00
Define CONFIG5L = 0x0f
Define CONFIG5H = 0xc0
Define CONFIG6L = 0x0f
Define CONFIG6H = 0xe0
Define CONFIG7L = 0x0f
Define CONFIG7H = 0x40

UsbSetVendorId 0x1234
UsbSetProductId 0x1234
UsbSetVersionNumber 0x1122
UsbSetManufacturerString "OshonSoft.com"
UsbSetProductString "Generic USB HID Device"
UsbSetSerialNumberString "1111111111"
UsbOnIoInGosub input_report_before_sending
UsbOnIoOutGosub output_report_received
UsbOnFtInGosub feature_report_before_sending
UsbOnFtOutGosub feature_report_received

AllDigital
ADCON1 = 0x0e
TRISB = 0
PORTB = 0xff
UsbStart
PORTB = 0

Dim an0 As Byte

loop:
Adcin 0, an0
If an0 < 50 Then
PORTB = 0
UsbStop
While an0 < 100
Adcin 0, an0
Wend
PORTB = 0xff
UsbStart
PORTB = 0
Endif
UsbService
Goto loop
End

feature_report_received:
Toggle PORTB.7
Return

feature_report_before_sending:
UsbFtBuffer(0) = UsbFtBuffer(0) - 1
UsbFtBuffer(1) = UsbFtBuffer(1) - 1
UsbFtBuffer(2) = UsbFtBuffer(2) - 1
UsbFtBuffer(3) = UsbFtBuffer(3) - 1
UsbFtBuffer(4) = UsbFtBuffer(4) - 1
UsbFtBuffer(5) = UsbFtBuffer(5) - 1
UsbFtBuffer(6) = UsbFtBuffer(6) - 1
UsbFtBuffer(7) = UsbFtBuffer(7) - 1
Return

output_report_received:
Toggle PORTB.6
Return

input_report_before_sending:
UsbIoBuffer(0) = UsbIoBuffer(0) + 1
UsbIoBuffer(1) = UsbIoBuffer(1) + 1
UsbIoBuffer(2) = UsbIoBuffer(2) + 1
UsbIoBuffer(3) = UsbIoBuffer(3) + 1
UsbIoBuffer(4) = UsbIoBuffer(4) + 1
UsbIoBuffer(5) = UsbIoBuffer(5) + 1
UsbIoBuffer(6) = UsbIoBuffer(6) + 1
UsbIoBuffer(7) = UsbIoBuffer(7) + 1
Return

Have you purchased the USB licence? If you have you need to download the special version of "pic18simulatoride"

It has a different build... You will also need the password to download it..

I did not know there was a different license for USB. I just went to the Oshonsoft website and saw this, but when I go to the registered users download area there is not a different version for USB. I presume the difference would be in the registry key? Oh well, I don't have the funds for that right now. I'll just have to wait. Thank you for pointing that out.

The downloads for "registered users" are in a separate location... When you buy a licence Vladimir gives you the location and the password so you can download it!!

I have the licenses for pic and pic18, but they are personal licenses only. I noticed on the license page that the costs are significantly higher for the licenses that include basic support for USB. I presume the difference is not in the pic18 software but in the installed license key. That is, I assume the license key for the USB support will 'unlock' the basic compiler for USB support.

No! its a completely different IDE... there is a USB only download page..

Hi Mity,

those config fuses are a pain aren't they. Here's an extract of just the relevant USB stuff from a working prog (not Oshonsoft). You need to end up with 48Mhz to run high speed.

I find its easier to experiment with config settings if you declare them by function (if the language allows) rather than arbitary hex bytes.

Device = 18F4550
Xtal = 48

Config_Start
PLLDIV = 5 ;Divide by 5 (20 MHz oscillator input)
CPUDIV = OSC1_PLL2 ;[Primary Oscillator Src: /1][96 MHz PLL Src: /2]
USBDIV = 2 ;USB clock source comes from the 96 MHz PLL divided by 2
FOSC = HSPLL_HS ;HS oscillator, PLL enabled (HSPLL)
VREGEN = On ;USB voltage regulator enabled
Config_End

I'm sure there's guys on this board who know a lot more about it than I do, but I don't think Oshonsoft USB support is going to help you that much. As I understand it, unlike other simulators (eg. Proteus) simulate the process with PC app and USB device running simultaneously.

George

Thank you for the replies, but it seems I don't have the license for the USB support. I'll contemplate the purchase, but since I don't really have a NEED for it (I was just tinkering around to see if I could get it to work), I'm not sure the purchase would be useful. I can always use USART/SPI/I2C for communications if I need it. Thaks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…