Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F84 RF howto

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlconejos

hello guys. im pretty much new to PIC. Id like to create and RF program in PIC16F84, please guide me on what to do:(

Have you check the RF Pic's ? They are the best for RF Control aplications such as remote control key's and stuff like that ... pretty small too and easy to program like the rest, give it a try. With theese you don't need RF Modules with external uC !!!

TiagoSilva said:
Have you check the RF Pic's ? They are the best for RF Control aplications such as remote control key's and stuff like that ... pretty small too and easy to program like the rest, give it a try. With theese you don't need RF Modules with external uC !!!

But they are also a LOT more difficult to use, require a PCB to use them, and (presumably) won't comply to licence free status unless you send samples of the completed units for testing (BIG money!).

Im very much happy for your reply guys. U know im just a baby to this technology. Anyhow, the things that id like to do is as follows:
1. Using PC, connect a single PIC-based RF/Ultrasonic module (PIC16F84/PIC16F877) to the RS232 interface of the PC. ( But as of now i really dont know how to do it!)
2. Another module PIC-Based RF/Ultrasonic module (not connected to the PC)[external]. This will beam towards [1] module. From their if possible, i will simulate it from the PC that there is an interaction or communication between the two PIC-based module.

I hope you can englighted me on what to do. Where should I start and how?
In our country, which is thirld world country we only PIC16F84 and PIC16F877.

Thank you so much in advance.

dlconejos said:
Im very much happy for your reply guys. U know im just a baby to this technology. Anyhow, the things that id like to do is as follows:
1. Using PC, connect a single PIC-based RF/Ultrasonic module (PIC16F84/PIC16F877) to the RS232 interface of the PC. ( But as of now i really dont know how to do it!)
2. Another module PIC-Based RF/Ultrasonic module (not connected to the PC)[external]. This will beam towards [1] module. From their if possible, i will simulate it from the PC that there is an interaction or communication between the two PIC-based module.

I hope you can englighted me on what to do. Where should I start and how?
In our country, which is thirld world country we only PIC16F84 and PIC16F877.

As I said above, check my tutorials, they already contain everything you need!.

Also, if you just need to connect a RF Module to your computer via RS-232 you only need to get a MAX232 to do the voltage level interface, usually RS-232 PC ports have 12V lines, and the modules 5V lines.

This is if you only need to make a wireless connection to the other module !

Anyway, pic accept Hi level's on the I/O pins but they don't give more than 5V ...

To enlight you, the MAX232 is a RS-232 <-> TTL converter, very known also ... cheap too ...

ok. right now. i will purchase the necessary tools and ic's i nid to start. ill ask you guys [gurus]. to help me. thank you so much.

i visited the site http://www.winpicprog.co.uk. it is very interesting.

anyhow i wud like to ask has anybody have done this one?

1. TX sends a signal to RX [RF/Ultrasound base] then the RX side computes/measures signal propagation time to obtain the location of the TX(transmitter)

any ideas guys?

dlconejos said:
i visited the site http://www.winpicprog.co.uk. it is very interesting.

anyhow i wud like to ask has anybody have done this one?

1. TX sends a signal to RX [RF/Ultrasound base] then the RX side computes/measures signal propagation time to obtain the location of the TX(transmitter)

any ideas guys?

Yes, it's called GPS - it's not practical to do it yourself, the progation time of RF is the speed of light, as fast as the electronics you're trying to measure it with!.

plz. correct me if i am wrong. but it may seems like a GPS [indoor gps system]. there are however other systems that have implemented this one, but not using PIC, i believ this wud be an interesting thing to do. others use ULTRASONIC sensors.

im very optimistic that this can be done in PIC. although, im not familiar with it.
hope u can help me....

well IR uses a similar method so you can use an 555 to generate an ultrasonic freq. an then conect the ultrasound receiver to an amplifier circuit and filter and then to the microcontroler A/DC that might workout ... but it needs perfection ... and if you don't even know the basics then search for a circuit on google who knows ... oh, the IR usually work on 37 Khz i guess and the receiver have an digital output, it's simpler ... Ultrasonic need more power and must also be filtered for signal noises ...

Thank you sir.. Ur right but unfortunately, it must be an ultrasonic sensors. I would like to use the theory TDOA (time difference of arrival). I think i can use ulltrasonic and RF at the same time, according to theory. but i nid ur help guys on how to do it.

Thank you sir. ur right its a bit expensive. my plans is to use:
4 nodes
1. PIC16F877 (4)
2. ultrasonic transceiver (2)/node
3. RF transmitter per node

Hope anyone can help me on this one

Time of flight using sound can definitely work, but using radio to trigger is a little tricky. Most RF receivers have jitter - and lots of it - a good estimate might be that the worst case timing accuracy you'll get off of RF is probably ~30% of a bit time. If you can filter this well enough and have a high enough bit-rate, you might be able to use this.

However, if you have 4 receivers that are located at known positions, and can hear a "ping" that is sent by a remote transmitter, then you can back out the 3D position of the source. (If you know the exact time of broadcast, then you only need 3 receivers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back