Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F690 PICBASIC PRO problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfarmerdave

I was writing some code in Microcode Studio and then using PICBASIC PRO DEMO to compile my code. My program got bigger than what the demo version would compile so I am now using the purchased version of PICBASIC PRO, version 2.40. I'm getting several errors when trying to compile any of my code using the purchased version. I wrote the following code as a simple test for the demo and purchased versions....

TRISC.0 = 0 'Sets pin 1 on port C to an output
loop:
PORTC.0 = 1 ' Turn on LED
Pause 500 ' Delay for .5 seconds

PORTC.0 = 0 ' Turn off LED
Pause 500 ' Delay for .5 seconds

Goto loop ' Go back to loop and blink LED forever

The demo version will compile the code with no errors while the purchased version returns the following errors. What am I doing wrong?

Error LEDBLI~2.ASM 43:[225] undefined symbol 'trisc'
Error LEDBLI~2.ASM 46:[225] undefined symbol 'portc'
Error LEDBLI~2.ASM 48:[225] undefined symbol 'portc'
Fatal LEDBLI~.ASM 48:[300] too many errors

I think I might have found the problem.... ver 2.40 doesn't look like it supports the PIC16F690. At least when using MicroCode Studio, when I click on the dropdown box that shows which IC's you can pick from, the 16F690 isn't listed so can I safely assume it is not an option? Are there any PICS with the same pinout that I could select so as to try to trick MicroCode Studio?

Last edited:
I don't know picbasic pro but from the errors, I assume either, you need to include a file such as "p16F690.inc" or you have the wrong processor selected.

Mike.

You didn't set the pic right i use it with mplab then you can use project wizard set your pic to PIC16F690 then toolsuite to PICBASIC PRO

But even if I chose to use MPLAB, if PICBASIC PRO version 2.40 doesn't support the 16F690, then I'm still out of luck using that specific chip with that specific version of PICBASIC PRO correct?

It should be thay say it is I started picking with a 16f690 I used it and it worked. where did you read it wasn't supported.
Nov 11, 2008 ... Download the PICBASIC PRO™ Compiler Demo Version ... 16F648A, 16F676, 16F677, 16F684, 16F685, 16F687, 16F688, 16F689, 16f690, 16F716, 16F72, ...

Last edited:
In Code Composer studio, it would let me chose the 16F690 when I had PICBASIC DEMO selected but when I selected PICBASIC PRO, the option of choosing the 16F690 was no longer available. I opened MPLAB and ran through the wizzard and it looks like I can select the 16F690 but when I look in the PICBASIC PRO ver 2.40 folder on my hard drive, I see LOTS of PICS on there but don't see the 16F690.

Did you try putting the example code that I had in my original post into MPLAB with the 16F690 selected? Were you able to compile it using PICBASIC PRO? Oh, what version of PICBASIC PRO are you running?

the 16f690 is not supported with 2.4 or what I have 2.45 I think you have to have 2.50 or newer (check there site) and yes the demo does support it.
hope that clear thing up
cheers

Ah MicroCode Studio, the PICBASIC IDE. As homemade mentioned you'll have to contact them about an upgrade.

IMHO I'd put my money towards an 18F PIC and Swordfish BASIC as it's a far superior BASIC.

You have to upgrade I have 2.47 But I did a Google and posted what i found it said it would work with 16f690 the 2.40 but your right there is no include file for the 16f690 in 2.40

Everyone, Thanks for confirming that 2.40 doesn't support the 16f690. That is what I was thinking but am a rookie at this so didn't want to prematurely jump to any conclusions.

I was looking at the inc for 16f690 I would say you could copy from the 2.50 to the 2.40 and it would work. You should try it It's not going to hurt. and copy the M16F6xx.INC from it to all thay do is tell what pic your using. Looks like a easy fix to me hope this helps

Last edited:
be80be, I'm not sure I'm following you. You said "I was looking at the inc for 16f690 I would say you could copy from the 2.50 to the 2.40 and it would work. You should try it It's not going to hurt." but I don't have 2.50 so how can I copy the 16F690 Inc file over to 2.40? It looks like there would be an Inc file as well as a BAS file?

The demo download it and copy them to your 2.40 you need this 1 from the 2.50 M16F6xx.INC and this 1 16F690.INC

It should work I didn't see any thing in it that would be version related. It just tells what pin are what.

Gotcha, I'm going to give it a try right now! Hope it works, wish me luck!

be80be, I understand what your suggesting. BUT, where would I find the Inc file for the 16F690? Also, where would I find the M16F6xx.INC file that your talking about? Would I also need to copy the BAS file to my PBP folder? What I don't understand is where are you finding these files that I need to copy into my PBP folder?

Last edited:
Are you using windows XP if so what you need is to install the demo then go to C:\PBPDEMO\ INC get the M16F6xx.INC save it where you can find it and get the 16F690.INC it's in C:\PBPDEMO\ save it then put them in your version 2.40 you don't need a bas file just the 2 INC.

Last edited:
then you should be able to use Mplab and your picbasic pro as the toolsuite for the 16f690

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back