Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic16f628a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Neon

Hi everyone,
I'm Reece, I'm 12 years old, I'm still at school, I barely have any money and I live in australia and I'm realy interesded in electronics!

I'm just asking if there's a simple recommended pic16f628a programmer that I could build and what would be the best software to use to program it?

Thanks
Reece

Hi everyone,
I'm Reece, I'm 12 years old, I'm still at school, I barely have any money and I live in australia and I'm realy interesded in electronics!

I'm just asking if there's a simple recommended pic16f628a programmer that I could build and what would be the best software to use to program it?

Thanks
Reece

Hi Reece,

Welcome to the forum. What experience do you have with electronics? Can you solder? Can you follow a circuit diagram? There are many circuits available on the internet but most of them need a serial port to work. Does your computer have a serial (not USB) port?

Having asked those questions, it occurred to me that it may be better if you learnt to build simpler circuits first. Have you tried building some of the simple circuits available on the internet? To jump straight into microcontrollers is probably not a good idea. If you build some of the simpler circuits you may find your parents are happy to help you get the tools required to move onto more complex projects.

BTW, where about in Australia are you?

Mike.

Hi Mike,
I'm not to sure what experince level i am at. I've beening doing electronics for a bit more than a year now and yes i can solder and i can understand circuit. I dont have serial port on our(my family)laptop because our normal computer got a viris and its basicly dead.

I buy a lot of kits from jaycar electronics and it teaches me about how the components work, what there for and how the circuits work and i've got quite a bit of tools and containers of components.

I live in queensland,brisbane,holland park.

below is just a vid i did and shows my bom box i createred this year and some of little things i have done.

YouTube - some of my projects

Reece

Last edited:
Hi Reece, welcome...

... As Pommie has said depending on your experience you should learn something small first. Do you know the basics such as what and how the below works?

Resistors, Capacitors, LEDs

You also need to know Logic: AND, OR, XOR etc...

Im not trying to say you have to know all 100% but learning those will ensure you can program and use any micro controller.

Hi Reece,

No disrespect to Mea - but do not bother with the JDM type of serial programmers - they seldom work - don't take my word - just look back at similar threads.

Sounds like you need a more modern USB programmer - again see some recent threads on the low cost starter units like the Pickit2 Debugger and Junebug.

If your are keen on starting Microchiping why not - basic electronics is obviously very helpful but not essential - you will surely learn those things as you go along - go for it !

hey Reece it seems you have the hand skill on soldering and some understanding of the basics maybe; which is good.

So you want to program PIC Micros; they are nice and easy to learn. I learned alot quick and im not the brightest person around :D

So you need a programmer heh... im going to do you a favor. I suggest you get a PICkit 2. Mainly because you are limited on the amount of FUNDS you can spend.

Microchip is having a sale until the end of the month i think.
Get " Part Number: DV164120 - PICkit 2 Starter Kit " its normal price is $49.99USD and since its a sale take off 20% that makes it $39.99USD ($10) not much but its savings none the less.

More info:
**broken link removed**

Check it out! its a nice deal and since its a PICkit 2 you can program most if not almost all the Mid Range pics out there.

If you only want the programmer then i suggest getting it alone as its only $34.99USD

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
If the recommended programmer uses a serial port I am able to take it to my mums school and program it there only if the software can be put on a usb.
Reece

Hi everyone,
If the recommended programmer uses a serial port I am able to take it to my mums school and program it there only if the software can be put on a usb.
Reece

hi,
If cash is a problem, then you could build your own programmer.
There are lots of designs on the web, I like the WinPic P16Pro40.

I prefer the PC parallel port version as some of the modern PC/laptops are USB only.

Last edited:
hi neon,
I was like you too,now I'm 15 though, not too much, i think :)
For PIC16F628A and if you don't need to buy a expensive programmer; tryout a simple JDM programmer; though it didn't worked for me.....if you really wanna join big legaues...build a 18F2550 based PICKit2 yourself....PM me if you want the PCB layout....I've built that...though you need to keep patience....more details are in the 'GTP USB programmer Thread'.

for software, use WinPIC800...my software of choice.....if you have a parrallel port...build a ART2003 programmer...which is a LVP programmer, but I modified it for HVP...which I used earlier...

But I think, before entering to the PIC world, it's a better idea to venture into analog and logic circuit world....if yo've not....like I built AM-FM transmitter, some amplifiers(though the best one is the LM1875 based design),IR designs,simple digital logic circuits etc...

PIC16F628A is a simple and easy one to start. I'd suggest Proton IDE for 16F serise and swordfish SE when you'll work with 18F...

Neon, hold patience and dont give up...I also struggled for a programmer....failed everywhere of course, finally wentdown for self madePICKit2, a junebug, and some basic pics and PIC18F2550....

Now I'm making a weather station....done almost...

Neon, remember alays, I'm like you too....

EDIT: AND It's my 100th post in this forum.....I love electro-tech-online...

Last edited:
you guys have to remember in order to build a 18f2550 programmer you need a programmer to program the 2550.

Check this out i htink you will like and cheap!

USD $8: **broken link removed**

USD $5: **broken link removed**

USD $19.99: **broken link removed**

ANOTHER $5:
**broken link removed**

AU:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
great links by atomsoft...
for programming 18F2550 a simple 5 minute ART2003 programmer is good, like i did.

NICE! i never seen that before theo.. heh you should put your first name in your SIG.
I want to make one now to test it :D

LINK: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
I got me a nice little one from EBAY for $16 (with shipping), and it programms every PIC that i used so far. If you use a laptop and do not have a serial port, there's still a way around it. you can use a USB to SERIAL cable, but since this device uses the serial power from the computer, and the USB to SERIAL does not provide that, you would need to manually connect a power supply to the programmer. It's really easy to do and works like a charm.

Sofrware wise i use WinPic800, works VERY well, its free, and it can auto-detect the chip you put in the programmer!

As to writing the code for the PIC, i suggest learning the basics about assembly language and the PIC commands, and after you have a basic understanding switch to a C compiler, and you will be able to program it a lot easier (i use sourceboost, its free, SourceBoost Technologies - Home of BoostC Free PIC C Compiler and BoostBasic Free Pic Basic Compiler).

Good luck buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back