Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic16f628 replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
Might be a common question.
What would be a suitable replacement for a pic16f628, its been out a while now and I spose microchip will be saying if not allready that the device is obsolete.
I use timer 0, 1 and 2, the pwm module, the uart and external clock for tmr1.

Wot no rp0,rp1 switching and 302 warnings?

I'll download the datasheet for those and see what they are like.

Is there anything in particular I need to know for a first program, like dumping 07 in cmcon to enable porta pins?

Your not doing anything there to setup the chip other than the io direction, microchip finally fixed their sillyness then.
You have to clear ansel on the pic16f88 if your not using atod.
I see the chip runs at 32mc, is that directly or does the device have a pll inboard?
I've been through the oscillator monitor and the auto switch over business with the '88, but theres some other config bit stuff there I havent seen before.
I'm gonna pick some up and have a play.

Last edited:
Hi,

Wondered what the programming method is with the Pk2 when used with the latest device file ?

Seems the 1826/7 have a Vpp of 9v according to the datasheet, but was not aware that the Pk2 could auto adjust Vpp ?

The datasheet shows another chip being used to reduce Vpp but never heard anyone mention this ..?

Hi,

Wondered what the programming method is with the Pk2 when used with the latest device file ?

Seems the 1826/7 have a Vpp of 9v according to the datasheet, but was not aware that the Pk2 could auto adjust Vpp ?

I bought a PK3 in order to be able to use the 1827 - but a few months afterwards it was added to the PK2, but NOT from within MPLAB (although it could be by now?).

Hi,

Yes I'm using Pk2 V2.61 with the latest device file 1-62-14 containing the 1826/7, but was wanting to know if /how the Pk2 handles the 9v Vpp the 1827 needs or must some additional circuity be added to reduce the normal 12v Vpp.

I use the pic16f819 quire a bit.. It has CCP , SSP and ADC modules... One of the main reasons I use it is for the 8Mhz oscillator block inside.....

Oh yes!! It works on the pickit2 ( you need a resistor from Gnd to Mclr )

Hi,

Yes I'm using Pk2 V2.61 with the latest device file 1-62-14 containing the 1826/7, but was wanting to know if /how the Pk2 handles the 9v Vpp the 1827 needs or must some additional circuity be added to reduce the normal 12v Vpp.

The PK2 has variable Vpp voltage, generated by a switch-mode software driven system, monitored by the ADC in the PK2 processor.

Assuming of course that the 1827 isn't perfectly fine with 12V?, I've never read the datasheet to find out - but in the older devices it was more a minimum voltage to make it switch to programming mode, and it was good practice to aim a little higher than the minimum.

Here are a couple of documents about the enhanced mid-range 1xF1xxx parts

Migration document https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41375A.pdf
Introduction presentation: https://www.microchip.com/stellent/groups/SiteComm_sg/documents/DeviceDoc/en542713.pdf

I see the chip runs at 32mc, is that directly or does the device have a pll inboard?
Set the clock to 8Mhz and enable the 4xPLL
After a reset the internal oscillator runs at 500Khz not 4Mhz like the 16F628

The PK2 does set Vpp to 9 volts without any additional circuitry when programming the enhanced devices.

With the PK2 standalone application I have to go to the 'Device Family' drop down - select Midrange - 1.8V Min option for it to detect the enhanced midrange parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back