Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F628 programming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hummel-hugo

Hi
My first post a difficult one
I think you saw a lot of those posts here before, cause I found them via Search but they didn't help me, so here's my problem:

"VERIFIED FAILED AT ADDRESS 0000h"

I 've build this jdm programmer:

http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/pic-pg1-sch.gif
**broken link removed**

Every component on my board is like at the pictures. I'm using a PIC16F628-20/P
The wires from the db9 to the pcb are not too long.
I've read that I could measure voltages to test if there is enough power but i dunno where i shoul do this on my board.

I think my pc's serial connector does not provide enought power for this board, so where can I integrate an external 12V power supply connection?
Can anyone please look if my board design how I made it (esp. the pin connections) is right. I'm not sure bout it.
THX

Hi,

Ahh the dreaded generic 'verify failed at address 000h' error.

You'll get this error if almost anything is wrong, and it doesn't help you find out exactly what the problem is. I've used the JDM for a while now, and I get this error even when I don't connect a PIC to it.

I've never used the PIC16F628-20/P, only the 628A, apparently theres a difference when it comes to programming, but I have no experience of this.

If you search google for the above error, I'm sure you'll get plenty of matches. I assume you're using 'IC-prog' for software? if not, please tell us what software your using.

That said, I'm pretty sure its a hardware error. Try measuring the voltage on Pin 4 of the micro, thats MCLR, it should be 12.7v minimum, hopeulfy 13v+. Also, measuring the voltage across the PIC, between pins 5 (Vss)and 14 (Vdd) it sohuld be at least 4.5V, preferably 5V. Also, all conections to the PIC (we all make soldering mistakes sometimes).

If it happens to be a software issue, it could be that IC-prog cannot use the serial port properly. XP/2000 can prove troublesome, but there is an XP plugin thingie available on IC-progs website.

There could be many things wrong, but after you've checked the above, post your findings.

Blueteeth

In normal Mode between Pin 5 and Pin 14 there are 5.3V, during programming there are 0.5V
The MCLR PIN has normal about 4.9V and during programming about 3V.
Bad isn't it?

ok thanks, i'll try this but before i'll try to connect an external 12V power source.
Can anyone tell me where to put it in my design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back