Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16C54

Status
Not open for further replies.
patroclus said:
Does anyone know if PIC 16C54 can be programmed with JDM ??
Also, is it similar to 16F84??

Thank you

I 'think' it's a parallel programmed chip, but there doesn't seem to be any programming datasheet for it on the MicroChip website.

patroclus said:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/30453d.pdf

it has the same pinout as 16F84...

Pretty well all the 18 pin PIC's do, why are you wanting to use the 16C54?, it's an OTP PIC which makes development more difficult and expensive.

And it is indeed parallel programmed, so you need another (more complicated) programmer.

Good day folks,
I've been looking at a concept which involves a 16C54 as seen here:
**broken link removed**

Looking around the forums and the folks who kindly offer programming software / schematics, I'm noticing that the 16C54 isn't a widely supported microcontroller.

Does anyone know of a frequency counter schematic which uses a more common uC? Possibly a FLASH uC? or a programmer which supports the 16C54?

I don't know much about the assembly code or uC applications yet, so I'm looking to learn through experimenting with a frequency counter. I've run through some very basic items such as flashing LED's and such, but I'm looking for something more practical (such as a frequency meter, YAY!).

I realize that this post is in the wrong forum topic, but I wanted to add on to this discussion for reference.

Thanks for your time!

**broken link removed**

a programmer for 16C54. It is the only thing I found..

I have a problem now, because I need to read the code of a code protected 16C54 ... I believe it is not possible to do it.. is it?? It is a very valuable code that I cannot find elsewhere..

It's pretty much impossibe to readout a code protected device. There was a rumour once that by using a certain trick the older pic's could be read, even when code protected, but I wouldn't put much faith into it.

Johnson777717 said:
Does anyone know of a frequency counter schematic which uses a more common uC? Possibly a FLASH uC? or a programmer which supports the 16C54?

Have a look here https://www.efplus.com/techref/piclist/weedfreq.htm for details of a frequency counter using the 16F84 - it's basically an updated version of the very old MicroChip application note.

patroclus said:
I have a problem now, because I need to read the code of a code protected 16C54 ... I believe it is not possible to do it.. is it?? It is a very valuable code that I cannot find elsewhere..

As I see it there's no honest reason to want to do this, if it's your code you should have the source and hex file anyway - and if you've lost them, you can always rewrite it again. For that matter, you shouldn't have code protected the device in the first place!.

The more likely reason is that the code isn't your's, and you've bought a preprogrammed code protected device - so you've no right to the code at all.

Historically the 16C84 had poor code protection, there was supposed to be fairly simple ways to break the protection - this was the main reason for it being replaced by the 16F84, essentially the same device with the code protection flaw removed.

Code protection on any device is only safe against fairly limited attack, enough money can break anything! - dissolving the encapsulation and reading the chip with a microscope is one (very expensive) way of doing it, but apparently needs a fairly large number of chips to experiment with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back