Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC vs. AVR in serial communication

Which one is better for serial communication?

• PIC18F2XXX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ATmega16 AVR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mega16 has a hardware USART and an SPI interface, you named an entire product line for PIC not a specific device. As long as the PIC has a hardware UART/USART then there is no difference, neither one would have an specific advantage for serial communication.

With some older devices the AVR may have had an advantage as it could allow inversion of the serial signal and PICs could not. But these days many of the new PICs also allow inversion of the serial signal.

I want to compare 3 microcontrollers actually..they are 89C51, pic 18F452 and ATmega 16

I never used ATmega 16 before but I know basics about PIC microcontrollers.

So if there is no difference then should I go for PIC 18F452?

(p.s sorry it wasnt pic 18F2xxx, the family was pic 18Fxx2)

Last edited:
With some older devices the AVR may have had an advantage as it could allow inversion of the serial signal and PICs could not. But these days many of the new PICs also allow inversion of the serial signal.

Out of curiosity, why would one need to invert the serial singal?(just to increase my understanding). The level translation is done in hardware.

And Qandeel AT89C51 has a UART not a USART.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why would one need to invert the serial singal?(just to increase my understanding). The level translation is done in hardware.

If you want to do serial with out a MAX232 - you can do this with a single resistor using a PIC (as the BASIC STAMP does), but if the chip doesn't support hardware inversion, then you need to do it in software (which is also trivial).

And Qandeel AT89C51 has a UART not a USART.

A UART is mostly what you want though.

Thanks Nigel. Hadn't tried it with out a MAX232 so guess thats why missed the point.

Also thanks adding the detail. Should have put it that UARTs are what people usually used.

Only if you have undefined objectives qandeel and need the flexibility. To someone that needs a UART a device that has a USART is one that has wasted features. It'
s only 'better' if you need it.

A Swiss army knife will never take the place of a good simple pocket knife or a screw driver, or a can opener... But sometimes having a swiss army knife is nice, sure isn't going to help you if all you need is something that fits your needs for a specific purpose. Something that fits the situation best will almost always cost less, and be easier to use because you aren't fumbling around the other things that you don't need.

Last edited:
I've read somewhere that PIC ports have better drive capability than AVR ports..Is it true?If yes then please can you please elaborate?

I've read somewhere that PIC ports have better drive capability than AVR ports..Is it true?If yes then please can you please elaborate?

I've no idea, check the AVR datasheets - PIC's are about 30mA per pin or so.

I would imagine an AVR is similar?, it was a blatent 'copy' of a PIC, even down to a three letter name :D

The antique 8051's had very poor drive capabilities though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back