Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Users!! What programmer do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright,
So there's alot of people happy with PICKit 2.
I think Im going to get it.

but whats the difference between PICKit 2 and PICKit 3?
is 3 just a later version?
or is it a different thing?

on the PICkit 2 page (**broken link removed**) there is a link to PICkit 3,
But no where on the PICkit 3 page (**broken link removed**) does it say it is a newer version of PICkit 2.

Which one do I get?

Apparently there is a big difference between the two version, check out this review of the PicKit3 EEVblog #39 – PICkit 3 Programmer/Debugger Review @ Electronics Engineering Video Blog Podcast

Personally, I have used a PicKit2 at uni and I liked it so much and needed a programmer (my home made one didn't work and needed LPT port) so I bought a PicKit2. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet, however I have big plans once exams are over.

It does everything I currently want and if necessary I'll make a PicKit 3 clone down the track using my PicKit 2 :p

I use a Promate II for anything production, a Picstart plus for tinkering with and a Pic Kit 2 which is still in its box after a year

I would wait on the PICKIT 3 they are having many complants about it. The junebug is a clone of the pickit 2. I would get the pickit 2 because it cost less and is well supported.
gogo

BUT pickit2 doesn't have on board tutor, extra input/output devices like push buttons or LEDs or expansion capabilities like the Junebug.
Bill did a great job in designing the little Junie.

I've got production programmers but for general development and some ICSP I use my MikroElektronika EasyPIC4 and EasyPIC6.

They are an excellent way to work fast with PICs, these days I rarely do any soldering until AFTER the project is finished.

Hello Mr RB
I was looking at the EasyPic4 not sure if I want to go that way. What language do you program in?

Hello Mr RB
I am at a point were I am deciding if I want program in C or stay with asm. I used to program in C+ when I wrote small programs for windows but that was a long time ago and from what I here the C programs for Pic's are nothing like regular C programs for windows.
What do you think?
I know I am getting off the topic but Mr RB is using a board I am thinking about buying. Sorry.
gogo

C is very simple and easy to learn, even if you've forgotten things, and if you've been trying to work with ASM you'll be right at home with C because it readily echos ASM but with C's functionality to boot.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to be a good programmer to use C with PICs. It's probably best to use the simplest of C code because of the PIC's limited memory and stack. And you can always insert some asm in your C code too if you like, I often do that to speed code up or simply if its the best way to do a job. You can use C for the stuff it does best and use asm for the things it does best.

Since you already know C and asm you should find it pretty easy. The hard part is probably working around the limitations of the PIC.

Ya I suppose, I have been side stepping around C long enough and I really like the way the Mcro 5 is set up. I'll give it a try. The reason I am looking at the Micro5 board is because I need something that is portable that I can carry back and forth to work and not worry about packing everything up to do so.
thanks for the advice
gogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back