Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic & UART help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabil13

hi, i am new here :)
i have to connect pic 18f series with external UART H8250, & i do not know the which exactlu pic from 18f series to use or the pins description of the UART, so if you could help me in choosing the pic & in the connecting process??? i would be so grateful to you

i know that stuff
but unfortunatlly i have to do so for my project.
so if you caould give me an advice i would be more than grateful to all of you.

i know that stuff
but unfortunatlly i have to do so for my project.
so if you caould give me an advice i would be more than grateful to all of you.

Are you absolutely sure that's what task you've been given?, only a complete idiot would set such a task - or someone who doesn't have the faintest idea what he's on about.

It's a odd project and the instructor should be brought into the 21st century.
That said look for PICs with a PSP port. 16877A, 18F4620...

hi, i am new here :)
i have to connect pic 18f series with external UART H8250, & i do not know the which exactlu pic from 18f series to use or the pins description of the UART, so if you could help me in choosing the pic & in the connecting process??? i would be so grateful to you

As others have said it's kinda crazy, but once you connect these two devices together what do you have to do with them?? I does not sound like you have given the whole story, I would think you have to prove the connection and perform some task to prove it actually works.

i am sorry guys, but this is what as being asked to do!!!!!!!!
the whole story of the project is as that:
----------------------------------------
temperature sensor>external ADC>PIC>external UART>max232>RS232>PC(to show the reading)
& i know how silly that is but really i don't have any other choice :(:(:confused:

Last edited:
i am sorry guys, but this is what as being asked to do!!!!!!!!
the whole story of the project is as that:
----------------------------------------
temperature sensor>external ADC>PIC>external UART>max232>RS232>PC(to show the reading)
& i know how silly that is but really i don't have any other choice :(:(:confused:

I would suggest (again) that it's been assigned by a complete idiot, who has no understanding of PIC's, or electronics in general.

I imagine that someone with no understanding of it has tried to modernise a 25-30 year old assignment, and simply crossed out Z80, 6502, 8008 whatever and written PIC in it's place.

Assuming you have no option but to complete this stupid assignment?, then you are going to have to recreate the interface required for the UART, you need one full port for the data interface, and a second port for the addressing and handshaking signals. You're unlikely to find any existing code for it, because it's such a ludicrous thing to do.

To show how stupid it is, you could just go:

temperature sensor>PIC>PC

You don't even need a MAX232 if you do the UART in software, just a simple resistor.

thanks alot for all of you.
i am really sorry again for my silly project.

for Nigel Goodwin: you are 100% right & i know how to make the project in the easy way, smarter way :
temp.sensor>pic>pc
& i have the code for that, but my old fashion instructor is living in 70's

thanks alot for all of you.
i am really sorry again for my silly project.

for Nigel Goodwin: you are 100% right & i know how to make the project in the easy way, smarter way :
temp.sensor>pic>pc
& i have the code for that, but my old fashion instructor is living in 70's

In which case you should be using a 70's processor, pointless using a modern device and then crippling it.

Maybe it is the only way he can keep the students from copying code from the internet :)

I think you are on to something there.:D
I did not have access to the internet when I had to write a program (final grade) for a cosmac elf, did a car alarm.

I had to write a simple tune on my COSMAC Elf with the Q line.
One of the guys in another class wrote code to play the tune 'Hot Buttered Popcorn' on the elf. Wow that was '78, 2nd year of college (ASEE), no grey hair then.

Well this guy has a lot of work ahead of him, I hope he started early, and that he pays attention because there is a lot of good info from many of you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back