Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC + type K

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want quick and dirty, a simple opamp to amplify the signal will work enough to give a PIC's ADC something to work with. But you better be a damn good programmer and signal analyst to make any degee of precision from it.

Thank you for your fast reply. I read somewhere (I don't recall...) that there's a pic that can handle type k thermocouple. I searched on "www.microchip.com" but nothing there about this subject. Anyone knows about it?

The MAX6675 is probably the easiest/most accurate way of using a K type with a microcontroller.

**broken link removed**

trexter711 said:
Hello everyone. I'm just wondering if I can use a type K thernocoupler direct with any PIC.

Thanks

i an posting a PIC design document of temp sensors. on page 10 you find k-type thermocouple.

Last edited:
Great document

mvs sarma said:
i an posting a PIC design document of temp sensors. on page 10 you find k-type thermocouple.

Thats a great document, whats the adress to get simillar document for another sensors.

Thanks

There are ADCs like the LTC2418 that handle thermocouples fine.

A normal op-amp won't work well no matter how good a programmer you are!
The problem is offset, thermocouple inputs are so small that common opamp offsets might make hundred of degrees F of error.

Second thing here- is this thermocouple grounded? It's ok to do that, not only we can bolt both wires to a grounded cylinder head, in fact a thermocouple can even measure a temp on a grounded hot plate by bonding one wire at one point and the other wire at a different point! But this means one voltage is slightly above ground, the other slightly below, so we need to be able to measure slightly below ground AND we need to be differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back