Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Tutorials - Going Equipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmanager

Hi Guys

As you know, I've been threatening for some time to complete NG's WinPIC Tutorials and in order to do so there is a total of 19 development boards to be built for practice purposes. Following on from completion of the task, I would like to do the same with C, and IR's tutorials use the same the boards but speak different :)

I decided to take a little time and build the things properly, so that they would last and also that any issues that arise are going to be the quality of my coding, not the integrity of the dev. boards.

I've attached some pics of the results.. .. for your critical eyes .. .. any suggestions other than ones that involve the fast lane of the M1 or wearing lipstick would be most welcome.

Some bullets for explanations .. .. ..

1. The boards are mounted on pegs, through acrylic sheet which is fastened to the base of a 'tupperware' box. There are rubber feet on the bottom to prevent them sliding about. The pegs are sited so that any board or combination of boards can be mounted side by side. This also means an incomplete project can be covered with the lid and safely stored for a later date.
  2. Power is provided by a separate power board which has 4 switched 5vdc outputs which can be connected to any of the main boards. The board is powered with a 9vdc SMPS plugged onto the board. There are a variety of hook up leads both for power and interconnecting boards.

I think that's all of it, if those of you with coding expertise want to add my name to the ignore list, now would be a good time to do it !

S

Edit: I just changed the pic sizes; I have new phone which takes enormous pics and I forgot to change them !

Attachments

• Boards 2.JPG
    Boards 2.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 388
  • Hook Ups.JPG
    Hook Ups.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 363
  • Main Board 1.JPG
    Main Board 1.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Main Board 2.JPG
    Main Board 2.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 356
  • Main Board 3.JPG
    Main Board 3.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 359
  • Power Supply.JPG
    Power Supply.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Stack 1.JPG
    Stack 1.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
I would mark that as A* ... nice one .

What you gona use for sandwiches now !

I understand the pleasure of building things that look nice as those boards.

I tested many of the Nigel's labs on my faithful protoboard and moved on.

Hi AT ..

I tested many of the Nigel's labs on my faithful protoboard and moved on.

That's because you are gifted and talented .. ... personally, I will have to do each exercise several times before it sinks in ! you've heard of MDF ? Well I'm a MDC !

Good to hear from you ..

S

Hi AT ..

That's because you are gifted and talented .. ... personally, I will have to do each exercise several times before it sinks in ! you've heard of MDF ? Well I'm a MDC !

Good to hear from you ..

S

Maybe persevering and patient but little else. For me, MDF was/is a frequent cargo in our vessels. MDC?, no idea.

Hi AT

MDF = Medium Density Fibreboard

MDC = Medium Density Chap !

Personally I learn from the black smoke that occasionally appears.... It's a "don't do that again" sort of learning curve.. Does get expensive if you don't learn quickly!!!

Is that what they mean when they talk about everyone should give up smoking !! ? :)

S

Personally I learn from the black smoke that occasionally appears.... It's a "don't do that again" sort of learning curve.. Does get expensive if you don't learn quickly!!!

It's pretty hard to get smoke from a PIC :D

Particularly as I always use a 9V PP3 type battery for powering them, however even at that they can get hot enough to burn your fingerprint in the top of the PIC :p (the PIC still works perfectly though - the finger - not so good :p)

hi S,
More entertaining than grey smoke, is the dance one does when the white hot innards of an exploding tantalum capacitor drops into your lap at the work bench.

Then its a more of a dark brown smell that pervades the workshop along with the expletives.:woot:

E

You know, what is somewhat worrying about this thread .. .. .. .. .

I published the WinPIC boards finished equipment I had made because I wanted to show that I am making every effort to learn the skills of an 'Electronics Guru ' in a thorough, enterprising and professional manner .. .. .. .

Then, up pops three or four of my 'heros' - the experts - the whizzkids - they who should be obeyed - total genius .. .. .. .. .. .

... .. .. ... .. and all they talk about is blowing things up !! :mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::wideyed:

S

Then, up pops three or four of my 'heros' - the experts - the whizzkids - they who should be obeyed - total genius .. .. .. .. .. .

No idea on who these guy's are... But even for the expert, the wif of cooked silicon is still considered the norm!!!

Blowing things up is good fun! :p

That depends which side of the capacitor you're standing .. .. .. mind you as EG alluded, can be a very good substitute for a laxative !

I'm still intrigue to know how you power up a PIC with mains water ! :D

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back