Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC touch switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all, I am hoping to make a touch sensor using just the copper traces on a PCB via a PIC 16f886 at 3V.

I could use some advice on the approach.

Also,
I am a bit concerned about ESD zapping the PIC although this pic has diodes clamping the inputs. Are they sufficient?

What's the PIC for?

You can do this with a single transistor (well, two - in a Darlington pair. But a single package).

If the rest of the circuit (whatever the switch is for) needs the 16F then I would suggest perhaps using a single transistor as I mentioned to make that an input on the PIC and remove your concerns. Although I make no claims to know a lot about ESD.

The PIC has a primary purpose other than the touch sensor. It also has some mtouch capacitive capability that I have never used so I was hoping for some guidance there.

I've use the simple copper thing in the past, it worked for me, just need to poll the pin really often. I've never destroyed a PIC for any HomeUse thing as of yet, some are installed since 4-5 years. the mTouch approach is more clean though... don't need to expose any metallic part.

Here is the simple code I used.
Put 100p on input to 0v.

The same line then turns on a transistor via 2 signal diodes so that one line does two things.

Code:
Main    bcf    gpio,4        ;make line LOW to discharge 100p
    call    _10uS    
    bsf    gpio,4        ;make line HIGH to charge 100p
    bsf    status, rp0     ;Bank 1            
    movlw    b'11111000'    ;Set TRIS  GP4 in
    movwf    TRISIO                   
    bcf    status, rp0    ;bank 0        
    call    _20mS
    btfss    gpio,4
    goto    $+3
    bcf    gpio,2