Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic to pc usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chantry

Hi.

Basically im after a way of transferring data from my pic to usb. I'm using pic 16f628a and assembly code and i would like to use a USB interface.

Apparently what I need is a USB/Serial converter with the max232 chip. Does this sound like a good way to do it and is there any example code online in assembly in regards to doing this? I haven't seen anything particually relevant online so far.

Any help or info related to this would be very helpful.

Thank you.

James

FTDI has chips that act like a virtual COM port for USB. It basically lets you code the PIC and the PC like you are coding for the UART/RS-232 but you are using a USB cable instead. It's not the "native" USB but it's much easier and more accessible. You don't need a MAX232 when using this chip- the PIC UART signals go to straight the chip where they are turned to USB.

Last edited:
DId I also mention you don't actually need a chip in your circuit? They have USB cables with this chip built in so you just plug it into the UART of any board and it turns it into RS-232 over the USB cable.

Accessories | Digi-Key

You may as well just use a standard USB/Serial adaptor cable - they are dead cheap, and you can buy them in any computer store.

They probably use something similar to the FTDI chips anyway?.

Thank you for all the replies. A cable is a good idea, but I need to have all components on the board for demonstration.

The FTDI chips seem like the perfect option to allow me to keep the coding simple. I was rather hoping to have all the components on a single board, but it looks like it's forcing me to use their board and link with a mole connection. There is a schematic online for a circuit using this chip:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/07/FT232RL-Breakout-Schematic.pdf

The problem is that the chip is so damn small! Is there a way to hand solder chips this size onto a pcb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back