Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

cucamunga

Hi to everyone, i'm not so good with the english but i'm goint to do my best.

My question is if anyone can recommend me a good microcontroller simulator (like or better than ISIS proteus). One that i can make schematics, resistors, EEPROMS, MAX232, etc. and simulate them.

thanks a lot.

cucamunga said:
Hi to everyone, i'm not so good with the english but i'm goint to do my best.

My question is if anyone can recommend me a good microcontroller simulator (like or better than ISIS proteus). One that i can make schematics, resistors, EEPROMS, MAX232, etc. and simulate them.

thanks a lot.

You simply won't find one better than Proteus, but the above list is definitely worth a look at if your not prepared to buy the suite

Hi, with a nominal charges Oshonsoft appears good-
i have a demo version it is apparantly OK

cucamunga said:
so proteus it is !!!.. thanks a lot.

Have you seen the individual PIC's price list for Proteus?

I would suggest before you spend lots of money on a Sim, why not try the
www.oshonsoft.com PIC Sim, its on a 30 day free trial offer and it covers most of the common PIC's.

Simulation can be useful as learning tool, but at the end of the day the only way to be sure your program runs as you expect is to program the PIC.

The simulator may say OK, but it will not find all the bugs in your program

Nigel Goodwin said:
No problem, real life - far better than any simulator! :p

Not really true... The development time and application design is, in my experience, better than half of that compared to real life. Proteus is not just a SIM, no where near just a SIM, and it's price tag does not lend its self to most (near all) beginners/new comers to PIC's/AVR's.

It's not just for designing and simulating "digital" circuits, infact its libraries have thousands of analogue and digital components. Coupled with simulation tools such as 4 Channel Oscilloscope, Logic Analyzer, Counters, Frequency Counters, SPI and I2C debuggers, Signal/Function/Pattern Generators, AC/DC Voltmeters and Ammeters, there are few limitations of such a diverse development suite.

Definitely something worth looking at if you’re serious, but stick with basic SIM's and real life testing until then :)

gramo said:
Not really true... The development time and application design is, in my experience, better than half of that compared to real life. Proteus is not just a SIM, no where near just a SIM, and it's price tag does not lend its self to most (near all) beginners/new comers to PIC's/AVR's.

Never used one, and have no plans to do so - I've never had any reason to go that way - and from all the posts on here about problems with simulator programs, I can't see me ever wanting to?.

Mind you, I come from the days before simulators :D

i guess that proteus is better than picsimulator cz it covers othe issue than programming as gramo replied, a stupid example is : you can try which value of resistor will be good in your design.
picsimulator has a problem with timing (timing not the same timeing u will get when u ll be testing your pic on board) and it does not cover other than programming issue.

yet using pic simulator you can quickly open the basic compiler and type yout rpogram but in proteus i guess we have to install libraries or .... (not sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back