Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC simulation software

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohanevindra

I have this unit at university next semester where I will be doing programming with PICs. I think its the 18F series. Can anyone recommend a good PIC simulator software that I can use since I plan to familiarise myself with the stuff a bit?

it all depends on what you mean by simulation.

most of the toolchains out there can be used to step through the execution, and allow you to watch the registers / variables / GPIO, etc.

very few of them will actually allow you to hook up a LCD (graphics or character) to the MCU, run your program on the MCU and see how the LCD reacts to it.

the most used "simulator" that includes both mcus and lcd displays is Proteus by LabCenter. it is a mixed signal simulator, and has a few MCU families (pic, 8051, arm, for example), and some lcd models, and of course transistors, led, etc.

multisim (available from NI) does some of that as well, on a very limited basis.

i have got oshonsoft and it has its own assembler....

but how do you run projects written in C in oshonsoft?do i need any other software?or do i need another simulator?

i have got oshonsoft and it has its own assembler....

but how do you run projects written in C in oshonsoft?do i need any other software?or do i need another simulator?

hi,
If your 'C' compiler produces an 'hex' file of the program, load this into Oshonsoft using File/Load Program.

Ensure that Oshonsoft is set for the correct PIC, clock rate etc, before loading the program.

Its also possible to load hex files from OS into MPLAB IDE by using the MPLAB Import.

OK.:)

the C compiler i was thinkin of using was either visual studio or context.....

so basically i writ the program in C in MPLAB then build it and import it into OS?there's such a function in OS?

the C compiler i was thinkin of using was either visual studio or context.....

so basically i writ the program in C in MPLAB then build it and import it into OS?there's such a function in OS?

If the C in MPLAB creates an 'hex' file then use Oshonsoft File/Load Program and run the hex file.

There are no 'C' functions in OS. Assembler or Basic only.

If i jus select the proper include files and the proper microcontroller, will i be able to still compile and build a code written in assembly or C using MPLAB without it being connected to any boards?

also, my friend tried typin out a macro in the OS assembler and it didnt work.. it also doesnt accept "RST" and "UDATA" within the code and generates errors when they're present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back