Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic pulse dialer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulse dialing? Like an old mechanical rotary dial?
I am one of the few remaining Canadians with "pulse dialing" on my phone line. I don't pay the DTMF rip-off fee to the phone company, month after month and year after year. After dialing the number on an electronic phone I switch it so I can control things like banking by DTMF.

does anyone have the c code to program a picf458 to pulse dial a phone number or two?
There are different standards in different countries so we need to know where you are located.
It should be pretty simple to write this code yourself. In North America the pulses are sent at apx 10 pulses per second with a half second pause between each digit (this is my best guess). One pulse for a 1, 2 for a 2, etc with the exception of zero which is done with 10 pulses.

Ever try dialing with the hookswitch?
I got locked in a building that was under construction and the phone had a lock on its dial. I used the hookswitch to call for help to get out.

audioguru said:
I got locked in a building that was under construction and the phone had a lock on its dial. I used the hookswitch to call for help to get out.

We used to do it as kids with the old BT call boxes (that had button A and button B) - but it was rather 'hit and miss' - you had to dial each number, then hit the hook the correct number of times as the dial went back.

No body we knew had phones anyway, so there wasn't anyone to ring!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
No body we knew had phones anyway, so there wasn't anyone to ring!.
Haven't times changed!
Now little school kids have cell phones. Teachers tell them not to use them during class.

kchriste said:
There are different standards in different countries so we need to know where you are located.
It should be pretty simple to write this code yourself. In North America the pulses are sent at apx 10 pulses per second with a half second pause between each digit (this is my best guess). One pulse for a 1, 2 for a 2, etc with the exception of zero which is done with 10 pulses.
In some countries (eg. New Zealand) they are more logical. Zero is one pulse, one is two pulses, etc.

From memory, in Australia, the speed must be between 8 and 12 impulses/sec, the break pulses must be >30 ms and the minimum interdigital pause is 450 ms.

to be more clear. i live in north america, i want to use mplab to pulse dial in c language. i'm using the pic 18f458. i have some ideas but need a better idea on how to use a delay inside a loop.

Better idea how to use a delay in a loop? It's a delay in a loop, what more do you need to know? Find out what the instruction timeing for your delay routine is and calculate how many times you need to run that delay routine to come up with the desired pause, then run the loop that many times.

audioguru said:
Pulse dialing? Like an old mechanical rotary dial?
I am one of the few remaining Canadians with "pulse dialing" on my phone line. I don't pay the DTMF rip-off fee to the phone company, month after month and year after year. After dialing the number on an electronic phone I switch it so I can control things like banking by DTMF.

DTMF fees are like taxes for roads. They add the fee to pay for the DTMF decoders (WAY BACK) and they never removed them.

I recall having to swap DTMF boards (a op-amp chip on the boards) and it was a LONG time ago. Sure they are paid for by now.

Anyway, I would think there are the old make/break schmatics out there. Timing is simple, take a PIC, relay, resistor and keypad and

audioguru said:

I recall in Puerto Rico the coins for a pay phones turned on the keypad somehow, but you could pick up the phone and pulse the digits and it worked.

I was very good at it. Could even get the operator.. But I worked of a telco, and we are always tring to hack the system to improve it.

audioguru said:
I don't pay the DTMF rip-off fee to the phone company, month after month and year after year.
I don't think we have such a stupid thing in the UK, anyway you might be able to save money by switching to a different company.

When DTMF was invented, BELL was the only phone company and they charged an extra fee for it. Then other phone companies were allowed to compete with BELL and they all charged extra for DTMF.

They recently all got together to try and force the few remaining people (like me) who had rotary dial service to go on DTMF because we were actually costing them more than DTMF (the registers were used for a longer amount of time with slow rotary dialing than with quick DTMF) but we launched a class-action-lawsuit and prevented it.

It recall now. And BT had the same problem as well I beleive. It was not the coins and the keypad that were the whole problem.. You had to take the mouth peice off and ground it. They used ground start trunks, that would get a dialtone and then you could flash (keypad was dead). Then came the loop start trunks.

audioguru said:
When DTMF was invented, BELL was the only phone company and they charged an extra fee for it. Then other phone companies were allowed to compete with BELL and they all charged extra for DTMF.

They recently all got together to try and force the few remaining people (like me) who had rotary dial service to go on DTMF because we were actually costing them more than DTMF (the registers were used for a longer amount of time with slow rotary dialing than with quick DTMF) but we launched a class-action-lawsuit and prevented it.
You had better emigrate. DTMF has always been free here - because it reduces register time.

Whem I was a kid we used to make free calls from pay phones by grounding the mouthpiece with a paperclip.

audioguru said:
Whem I was a kid we used to make free calls from pay phones by grounding the mouthpiece with a paperclip.
There were various tricks they used here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back