Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programs in C

Status
Not open for further replies.

elexhobby

Hi...
I've read Jay.Slovak's initial advice about mastering PIC programming using assembly language. As adviced, I've done two projects using 16F877A wherein I used the ADC modules & CCP modules, & am now quite well versed with Assembly Language programming.
I would like to go a bit further now. Can somebody suggest where I can find tutorials on programming a PIC in C. I know the basics of C language.
By the way, I also know 8051 assembly language programming, but similar to PIC, I've never written 8051 code in C language. Kindly suggest sites/books where I can learn programming of 8051 & PIC in C language..
Thanks in advance....

elexhobby

You must be kidding me.

Have you googled for pic c tutorials??

There are literaly hundreds of web site who cater to C programming of pic.

I have learned a while back to check google first and then when something technical comes up, then I post for help here.

Is there something wrong with checking things out for yourself first nowadays?
Or am I just old school?

Check out the free SourceBoost IDE with the included BoostC compiler. It comes with sample programs you can compile, analyze and debug/simulate, which is in my opinion a good way to get started.

Hi Joel (and group),

I don't mean to hijack the thread but can you tell me more about this BoostC compiler? A private message would be fine, if you have the time... Thanks...

Regards, Mike

Mike said:
Hi Joel (and group),

I don't mean to hijack the thread but can you tell me more about this BoostC compiler? A private message would be fine, if you have the time... Thanks...

Regards, Mike

Hey Mike ;)

See this previous thread about 2 weeks old. Look for posts by pittuck, evandude and myself near the bottom of page 1 and on page 2, you'll get a link to it and some general info and comments. I've been really impressed by it so far...

Later ;)

Hi hjl4..

I recognise my mistake.. I am sorry.. I should have checked google first..
There is wealth of infmn available as u said..Shall post a message if I have a genuine difficulty..
Thanks..

PICC18 and MCC18 are good too. IMHO PICC18 is the best one around at this time.

If there were one piece of advice I'd add, it's to stay away from the predefined functions for doing stuff like assigning CCP module settings. They keep promoting them as product features but they're totally nonportable if you change compilers, and dumb since you need to fully understand how the registers work anyways.

Oznog, yes that's what I hate about pre-written functions/programs. I always analyse it and write my own. That's why USB implementation takes me so long, because I want to understand it, not just use somebody elses programs...

Oznog said:
If there were one piece of advice I'd add, it's to stay away from the predefined functions for doing stuff like assigning CCP module settings. They keep promoting them as product features but they're totally nonportable if you change compilers, and dumb since you need to fully understand how the registers work anyways.

Amen to that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back