Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McGivern

hello all

I want to do some pic programming and would like some advice on where to start.

I have a copy of Farnell mail order catalogue September 2007 and there is a programmer advertised on page 35, the order code of which is 111-2720 priced at £53.91.

It is manufactured by Microchip and described as a "dsPICDEM 2 Developement Board". It has socket arrangements for various devices for motor control and general purpose use.

I would appreciate the opinion of anyone who has some experience with programmers and programming for "pics"
Regards JMcG

I would highly recommend this from Matrix Multimedia;

**broken link removed**

It involves a bit of a cash layout (£160) but for that you get yourself a comprehensive development board and a C Programming course to accompany it. You get taken through C for embedded microcontrollers from the ground upwards and by the end you'll have gained a very good foundation in C programming for PIC Micros. After that there's some PIC tutorials (explaining PIC architecture, special function registers, addressing etc etc) and then the most important part - the labs. Here you are taken through a course of developing applications for PIC Microcontrollers, with example code you can program the PIC with and see the results with the hardware on the development board. You start off right at the beginning (light and LED, then create a pattern of lit LEDs) and move upwards to switches, scanning key matrix's, interrupts and how to use them, timers, controlling LED displays, LCDs, the list goes on. By the time you've worked your way through that you'll be a PIC programmer, and the rest is limited only by your own imagination!

If you don't fancy C, there's also an Assembly course which is the same thing (same development board) but using an Assembly CDROM instead.

This is the kit I bought when I started out with PICs (except I had the older version) and if you're serious about learning to program MicroControllers I'd whole heartedly recommend it to you.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back