Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

would it be possible please for someone to recommend a basic off the shelf piece of kit for me to program my 16F627A chips.

the one a have is a pic2 kit development board dm1699835 which is 6 years old and a would like a more basic item before mine fails or i break it.

i am not "a trained person" and get horribly confused when looking at the endless variety on offer, but do need to use 16f627a chips (too many boards have been made for this 18 pin chip)

Many Thanks

Michael

Just make yourself a plugin board for the PICKit2, with an 18 pin ZIF socket.

Like this:

ZIF_bottom..jpg
ZIF..jpg

Hola Nigel,

The 6th pin (bottom ) in the connector, goes nowhere. Why is that?

Think I would add a few R's C's and numbers to Nigel's circuit
Its only a programming socket!!! I have the exact same board for over 8 years!! No Cap's or Resistors on mine..

The pin 6 is an auxiliary pin I think its used when the device is a logic analyser!!

My thought was the OP may incorporate it as ICSP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to another circuit board, and 1-6 may help with orientation of PK2 . ( IMHO sockets should always be labelled ) And was coming from a PK2 dev board.

For an off the shelf option, check eBay for pickit adapter boards. "j1sys" has a selection of such boards, and I bought mine from that seller. They work well and can be easily adjusted for various pinouts. You can also add decoupling capacitors, if you want. For the PicKit3 and the 12F683, I found a decoupling capacitor was absolutely necessary. I now routinely add one across Vcc and Gnd.

Here is a link to one of j1sys' boards:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICSP-Adapt...998370?hash=item4d2f5b5c62:g:zGQAAOSwqu9VB1jX

John

You really can't beat a good ol' PICkit3 IMO :)

No need or reason, it's just a programming socket - you then transfer the chip to it's target board.
I built it because I had a fair number of identical chips to program for a project I did for someone.

Yes, sometimes you can get by with no decoupling cap across Vcc and Vss when programming with the PK3, but there are many threads on the Microchip forums in which such caps are recommended when using that programmer. Here are just two: https://www.microchip.com/forums/m897087.aspx and m690219.aspx . In each of those cases, the author is "Ian.M." In my own experience with the 12F683 and PK3, a cap along with reducing the programmer voltage to slightly less than 5.0 V cured the problem (target powered by programmer mode). The power supply on the PK3 is not very robust. If you put a scope on it and watch Vcc, you can see it sag significantly when programming.

John

Got two of each 2&3 , 3 every time , although the tools on PK2 very useful. ( never understood the lights on 3 o_O ) my tip would be keep the connections short ( and keyed I use a 7 pin connector with a key plug in pin 7 )
.plug.jpg

Yes, sometimes you can get by with no decoupling cap across Vcc and Vss when programming with the PK3, but there are many threads on the Microchip forums in which such caps are recommended when using that programmer. Here are just two: https://www.microchip.com/forums/m897087.aspx and m690219.aspx . In each of those cases, the author is "Ian.M." In my own experience with the 12F683 and PK3, a cap along with reducing the programmer voltage to slightly less than 5.0 V cured the problem (target powered by programmer mode). The power supply on the PK3 is not very robust. If you put a scope on it and watch Vcc, you can see it sag significantly when programming.

It's a VERY different matter running a target board, and just a ZIF socket :D

However, neither of the two links you posted show any such thing, both were completely different problems.

Nigel,
I am referring to just a target board and a ZIF socket in which the PK3 provides power to the target. Power up a 12F683 and put a scope on the Vcc pin. I pulled my hair out over that a couple of years ago. System worked fine, then 6 months later it didn't work. Solution was to add a decoupling capacitor and reduce the voltage to 4.85 V or so. The reduction in voltage was a suggestion off the Microchip forum, but I could't find that post this morning. The search function for my threads didn't go back far enough.

John

EDIT: I found my data from that January 2013 problem:
Capture.PNG

Again, that was just the 12F683 in a ZIF on an adapter board to PK3. Added the bypass also as recommended by several people. At that point, I started programming with the PK3 at 4.75 to 4.85 V (sorry for the typo above, I corrected 5.85 to 4.85 as that is what was intended) and have had no further problems.

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back