Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all,
I find myself in need of a cheap PIC programmer. I found the K8048 PIC Microcontroller Programmer Kit on Maplin for about £25. Has anyone ever used one? It comes with a free 16F627, so i guess it'll program the 628's i need to use? does anyone know of any serious flaws for this piece of kit (it seems silly cheap)?

Thanks in advance....

Mark

[edit]Or if anyone has any suggestions for a PIC programmer that'll accomodate 16f628's for less than £50 and work reliably? [\edit]

Hey Mark:

I have the K8048 kit made by Velleman, I'm not sure if this is the same kit that you're looking at. I purchased the kit because I didn't want to fuss with obtaining all of the parts and making a PCB.

So far, the kit works well, I've programmed the 16F627 successfully as well as the 16F84A. The kit that I have states that it will successfully program the 628 as well.

If you're interested in the specifics of the Velleman kit, go to:
www.velleman.be
Select support
Then you can find the manual for the K8048 kit, which will explain most of what you're looking for.

Also, Nigel has a page dedicated to PIC programming, and he provides a schematic and software for programming for FREE.
Check it out:
http://www.winpicprog.co.uk

I hope that this helps.

Mark Lazarides said:
Evening all,
I find myself in need of a cheap PIC programmer. I found the K8048 PIC Microcontroller Programmer Kit on Maplin for about £25. Has anyone ever used one? It comes with a free 16F627, so i guess it'll program the 628's i need to use? does anyone know of any serious flaws for this piece of kit (it seems silly cheap)?

Thanks in advance....

Mark

[edit]Or if anyone has any suggestions for a PIC programmer that'll accomodate 16f628's for less than £50 and work reliably? [\edit]

The P16PRO40 is cheap and programs pretty well most PIC's, you can buy a kit from Quasar Electronics for £11.95, have a look at **broken link removed**.

It can be used with free software, WinPicProg or ICProg.

Thanks both for the advice, think I'll go for the 3096 with ZIF socket from the quasar page.

Nigel, is this completely compatible with your software? And the power supplies they've got listed, one gives a dc voltage, the other an AC voltage? any suggestions which one to go for? I realise these must be very basic questions, but I'd like to get it right first time. Thanks again..

Mark Lazarides said:
Thanks both for the advice, think I'll go for the 3096 with ZIF socket from the quasar page.

Nigel, is this completely compatible with your software?

Yes, I use the P16PRO40 myself - the ZIF socket is pretty well essential.

And the power supplies they've got listed, one gives a dc voltage, the other an AC voltage? any suggestions which one to go for? I realise these must be very basic questions, but I'd like to get it right first time.

I've not used their power supplies, but the P16PRO40 has a bridge rectifier on board, so can accept either AC or DC. If they are selling them as suitable, I've no reason to doubt them.

my programmer

i recently brought a piccall programmer (piccallw.com)

it's not cheap but at least i can also program AVR's...and memories and offcourse alot of pic's 16 series and 18 series...

i brought it whit a zif socket offcourse.

in that way it is a luxery to have one..

and if i want to switch a day to avr i already have something...

soow let drinking alot of beer some times and buy one.. i'm really happy whit it..

TKS

Thanks all for the advice. as stated prevously, i went with the pic16pro from Quasar. The price was good (£31 for the assembled version, with ZIF socket) and it does everything i need it to. I need it to complete a project I'm working on at the moment, but I'm keen to continue experimenting with PIC uC's after. This programmer seemed to give me those options

I bought a kit first then had a bad experience so I decided to get a prebuilt one. I got the pg2 from sparkfun.com, great little programmer, $7-$10 depending if you want a socket or just use icsp. Its the common jdm programmer so its fully supported by icprog and winpicprog. Only problem is you can only use it on a desktop since the serial port powers it. Works great though.

chippie,

Chippie posted somewhere in this forum a programmer without power supplies, and I'm using it. It works good. and i use icprog

spyghost,

Will picpro work with icprog? If so, it's perfect. is picpro a universal programmer? and how many mc that it can program? the pcb online, is this standard or gold product?

nigel,

about picprog40 of nigel, will it work on win xp? I see they said it has some problems with xp.

people,

labtool 48 is good, but it cannot program for some pics such as 16f72 ... but it also have some problems with xp, try with labtool48xp but it's so expensive. laptool48 is a universal programmer.

I found that, if a programmer work with COM port, there is no problem to version of windows, but with parallel, perhaps, we need "latest versions".

Hello Mark,

And the power supplies they've got listed, one gives a dc voltage, the other an AC voltage? any suggestions which one to go for? I realise these must be very basic questions, but I'd like to get it right first time. Thanks again..

I built the kit 3004 regulated power supply from Quasar Electronics with a 17V transformer and it works extremely well with the kit no. 3096 P16Pro programmer. ( I got both these kits from Quasar )

Happy Easter to all.
Barry.

i also brought

from quasar

that power suply

but after buying and soldering i saw that i didn't need it..:D

and my output voltage is 13,1 volt.. (3A) max..from my suply..

TKS

i use the pic all programmer..

its propic
falleafd said:
Will picpro work with icprog?
yes it will. take a look at http://www.ic-prog.com/programmers.html
falleafd said:
is picpro a universal programmer?
yes it has some soft of universality when it comes to "microchip pics" given the fact that i can only program pics
falleafd said:
the pcb online, is this standard or gold product?
the downloadable pdf is the gold version. however, by simply removing the circuit enclosed in the dotted line, the circuit will become a standard version. if you take a look at the bottom layer of the pcb, there are 3 square pads 2 of which are labelled GOLD and STD. when operating the circuit in standard mode, simply short the pad labeled STD to the middle pad. the same thing goes for the GOLD version.

yeah, I know icprog because i'm using it with very simple programmer but for almost pics. Therefore, I would like to ask if picpro can program for all types of pics or not? how about dsPIC?

2) I meant "universal" that is, you can program for many other types of microcontroller, not only PIC. Because, I have now the labtool 48, and it can program for many MC.

3) I read clearer bout picpro, but can you tell me more bout the gold version? will the simulator work with all types of PICs or only 16f8xx?

If it work with all Pic family, it's worth. And I think I should buy one. Because as using my own programmer or labtool48, I found some disavantages. With my programmer, I cannot get the onboard simulator. With labtool, there are some pics cannot be programmed.

Thanks muchie.

demo2f627

There is an error (dos Error) that prevents the assembly of demo2f627.asm using the suplied mpasmwin from the mini CD. A workaround is to rename it in MSDOS as d2f627.asm. This is because the assembler only seems to load 8.3 (or less) length file names.

Re: demo2f627

graingert said:
There is an error (dos Error) that prevents the assembly of demo2f627.asm using the suplied mpasmwin from the mini CD. A workaround is to rename it in MSDOS as d2f627.asm. This is because the assembler only seems to load 8.3 length file names.

Yes, even the latest versions of MPASMWIN only accept DOS 8.3 filenames - bizarre really!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back