Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Programmer with 18F PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmymna

I have this programmer**broken link removed** with the software they provide I can't program 18F PICs and their forum wasn't much help either.
The programmer has a pre-programmed PIC on it so I think that may limit it to the currently supported PICs but it does come with a config file so newer PICs can be added.
Does anyone have any ideas on either adding new lines to the config file or writing new software for it?

Thanks all for any suggestions :D

Attachments

• programmer_config.txt
    19.3 KB · Views: 480
Timmymna said:
I have this programmer**broken link removed** with the software they provide I can't program 18F PICs and their forum wasn't much help either.
The programmer has a pre-programmed PIC on it so I think that may limit it to the currently supported PICs but it does come with a config file so newer PICs can be added.
Does anyone have any ideas on either adding new lines to the config file or writing new software for it?

Thanks all for any suggestions :D
i suppose that you could look for every instance of a particular part and fill in the approprate data.. the bulk of the text is made up of descriptions like this...but there are other instances of it as well...
Code:
[16F8XA]
USE_ID=1
WORDLENGTH=14
FLASH=1
LP=1,3FFC
XT=1,3FFD
HS=1,3FFE
RC=1,3FFF
INTRC=0,3FFF
INTRCOUT=0,3FFF
EXTRC=0,3FFF
EXTRCOUT=0,3FFF
CODEPROTECT=1,000F,3FFF
POWERUP=1,3FF7,3FFF
WATCHDOG=1,3FFF,3FFB
BROWNOUT=0,3FFF,3FFF
RESETPIN=0,3FFF,3FFF
DATAMEMPROTECT=0,3FFF,3FFF
PARITY=0,3FFF,3FFF
DEBUG=0,3FFF,3FFF
WRT=0,3FFF,3FFF
LVP=0,3FFF,3FFF
these should be easy... but what do ya do with the features that were not available when the board was made...
like this
Code:
16F84A=16F8XA,1024,64
some are easy like program memory size & data memory size
and this
Code:
16F84A=9,000101011
nine what ??
here too
000101011=16F84A
you get the idea...
now ya just gotta figure out what it all means...

williB said:
i suppose that you could look for every instance of a particular part and fill in the approprate data.. the bulk of the text is made up of descriptions like this...but there are other instances of it as well...
Code:
[16F8XA]
FLASH=1
these should be easy... but what do ya do with the features that were not available when the board was made...
like this

The crucial part is that part I've left listed, which tells the software which algorithym to use - different types of PIC's use different algorithyms, and the 18F series are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to everything that's gone before. If the software provided doesn't already support the 18F series you're not going to be able to edit a config file to add them!.

I would suggest the only option is to approach the manufacturers and see if they are planning to update the software?.

Thanks for the input, I'll get in touch manufacturers and see what they have to say.

Nigel is the P16PRO40 programmer capable of programming the 18F PICs?

Timmymna said:
Thanks for the input, I'll get in touch manufacturers and see what they have to say.

Nigel is the P16PRO40 programmer capable of programming the 18F PICs?

Yes, the hardware is the same regardless, it's only the software which is different - with the P16PRO40 (or similar Tait type programmers), the software runs on the PC. The latest beta version of WinPicProg supports a number of the 18F series - which was the last update.

I've not studied the programmer you have, but from a quick look at it's picture, it looks like the programming software may be on the PCB, inside another PIC - the 'proper' way to do a serial port or USB programmer!. But which requires both the PIC on the board changing (or reprogramming), and probably the PC software updating as well, to add further different devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back