Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programmer VPP generator (5v to 13v converter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

evandude

I just built a little board to generate the 13v necessary for PIC programming from a 5v input. I attached SCH and BRD files for cadsoft eagle 4.14

it's a switched-capacitor voltage converter, using a MAX1683 chip (which can be had as free samples from maxim), 4 10uF capacitors, and a few diodes. the overall board size came out to be about 0.6" by 0.75"

and no, it's nothing special, it's just the circuit from a maxim app note, with a zener regulator attached to the output. I just designed it because I have a USB PIC programmer that requires a 16VDC input, (which it then regulates down to 12.6v) which is hard to come by, and I'd much rather power the whole thing directly off the USB port since it's capable of supplying plenty of current.

The circuit is only good to one or two dozen mA, so it should ONLY be used for the 13v programming voltage; the rest of my programmer will be powered directly from the USB port. perhaps it could come in handy for other programmers as well, since you could feed the programmer with a very wide range of voltages if the input went into a 5v regulator, and then into this circuit.

Attachments

• vpp_gen.zip
    37.1 KB · Views: 224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back