Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC plus-5110 LCD-GPS-BMP280-HMC5983

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi E and J,
The module started showing MOSI after I cleaned it for the photo:rolleyes:
Here's the circuit: (Test circuit that has been modified and re-worked)
Here's the readout from #74 Zoomed in and out.
The back light is on. My schematic shows connect the LIGHT PIN to GND. Previously on the 4x20 LCDs they had a POT for contrast, do these need a POT?
18F and LF the same in this sense, noted.
C.

Attachments

• Erics short.jpg
    Erics short.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Erics shor zoomt.jpg
    Erics shor zoomt.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 197
  • circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 199
hi C,
The Contrast is set in the Init code.
Not sure what this means. The module started showing MOSI after I cleaned it for the photo
Any signs of pixels??
E

SPICSOn
SPISend 0x21 'extended cmds
WaitUs 100
SPISend 0xb8 'lcd contrast
WaitUs 100
SPISend 0x04 'temp coeff
WaitUs 100
SPISend 0x14 'lcd bias mode 1:40
WaitUs 100
SPISend 0x20 'lcd basic commands
WaitUs 100
SPISend 0x09 'lcd ALL pixels ON
WaitUs 100
SPICSOff
WaitMs 1
Return

EDIT:
As I do not have a 5110 on the bench I am using the d/s and the video that you posted as guidance.

hi C,
The Contrast is set in the Init code.
Not sure what this means. The module started showing MOSI after I cleaned it for the photo
Any signs of pixels??
E

SPICSOn
SPISend 0x21 'extended cmds
WaitUs 100
SPISend 0xb8 'lcd contrast
WaitUs 100
SPISend 0x04 'temp coeff
WaitUs 100
SPISend 0x14 'lcd bias mode 1:40
WaitUs 100
SPISend 0x20 'lcd basic commands
WaitUs 100
SPISend 0x09 'lcd ALL pixels ON
WaitUs 100
SPICSOff
WaitMs 1
Return
Hi E,
I saw the contrast in the program. I was double checking if LIGHT is correctly connected. I assume a POT there would be for brightness.
The circuit didn't work (didn't show any signal on the MOSI analyser line) until I cleaned it this morning (Now MOSI showing). I had previously taken off the PIC, as there was a problem of tracking, because of the out of date solder paste.
Only light show on the screen.
My reading of the analyser readings, shows incorrect numbers, see what you think.
C.

hi,
The vid says LIGHT is pulled low to swicth ON.
E
A004.gif

My reading of the analyser readings, shows incorrect numbers, see what you think.
hi,
If your last image was the analyser, why do you think the readings are wrong.?
E
SPI_Bits.gif

hi,
If your last image was the analyser, why do you think the readings are wrong.?
E
View attachment 108532
Hi E,
I'm out of practice reading my conversion chart, now I see it is correct.
I just tried a different PCB with 18F2420 PIC and a different 5110. The analyser shows the same result. The 5110 also shows the same result of no pixels.
C.

There are (at least) two entirely different types of the 5110 display module, the pin connections are completely different, and one needs HIGH for the LED's, the other needs LOW.
hi Nigel,
You appear to be more familiar with this 5110 LCD than I am, so perhaps it is a good time for you step and help the OP.
Eric

hi Nigel,
You appear to be more familiar with this 5110 LCD than I am, so perhaps it is a good time for you step and help the OP.
Eric

I've been keeping out because I've failed getting them to work again with the 16F1827 :D

I had them working fine, and the 24F series as well - then I was struck by a ransom attack and lost all my source code since my last backup - including all the 5110 stuff :mad:

So I started working on it again a while back, and while I've managed to get the 24F series working again, I've not managed the 16F1827 for some reason. It's currently waiting for me to 'get around to it', as I still don't know why it doesn't work.

Funnily enough this last Sunday I built a couple of boards using Arduino 3.3V Pro Mini's mounted underneath 5110 displays, one of each of the two types I have. One is currently an ultrasonic range measure, the other a temperature gauge.

hi Nigel,
Thanks for the positive feedback, I guess I will have to get a couple of 5110's and see what I can do with Oshonsoft, to help the OP.:)
I don't have any 24F series PIC's, mainly 18F types, will let you know how it goes.

Hi C,
As per my PM, you have assigned PORTA.5, twice in your program code, as SPI_CS and lcd_CS.

That simple code I posted, where you can see all the SPI MOSI transfer data, should work OK, it is possible you have similar problem with the 18LF2520, as Nigel saw with the 16F1827.????

E

EDIT:

Ordered some 5110. late Oct delivery.

Last edited:
I've been keeping out because I've failed getting them to work again with the 16F1827 :D

I had them working fine, and the 24F series as well - then I was struck by a ransom attack and lost all my source code since my last backup - including all the 5110 stuff :mad:

So I started working on it again a while back, and while I've managed to get the 24F series working again, I've not managed the 16F1827 for some reason. It's currently waiting for me to 'get around to it', as I still don't know why it doesn't work.

Funnily enough this last Sunday I built a couple of boards using Arduino 3.3V Pro Mini's mounted underneath 5110 displays, one of each of the two types I have. One is currently an ultrasonic range measure, the other a temperature gauge.
Hi N,
Sorry to hear you've been ransomed, I hope you didn't need to pay it. Reminder to me, must back up.
Do your two types look like this:
How do you tell the difference?
It appears that you have both types working with Arduino.
C.

Attachments

• 5110.png
    5110.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 194
Hi N and E,
I have a pixel covered screen:)
I'll just check, and add more to this message.

EDIT:
I'm not sure what I did, but I played around with 2520 and 2420 programs, telling the programmer the wrong one, and it started working. OR it could be some error I do.
Anyway! Now the attached program works ok, but it didn't in the past.
C.

Attachments

• 18lf2520 8MHz INT 5110 111017 1130.txt
    2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
hi C,
Good news.
The next step is the Vid2.
ie: writing a simple test msg to the lcd, will you be OK modifying my simple program or do you need input from me.?
E

hi C,
Good news.
ie: writing a simple test msg to the lcd, will you be OK modifying my simple program or do you need input from me.?
E
Hi E,
I'll have a go first, but I may over complicate it again:eek:
C.

hi,
While I have been waiting I did this..
Should display 55/aa pattern repeated [vid2]
E

Attachments

• A001.gif
    A001.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 177
  • SPI5110c.bas
    2.1 KB · Views: 177
hi C,
Good news.
E
Hi E,
I'll have a go first, but I may over complicate it again:eek:
C.
hi,
While I have been waiting I did this..
Should display 55/aa pattern repeated [vid2]
E
Hi E,
The screen shows a feint square of pixels, i,e faded, but no digits.
What does vid2 mean?
EDIT: At the start-up the faded screen comes on then a quick flash then the faded screen again, as if it's trying to show other than the faded screen.
C.

Last edited:
hi C,
Vid2 is my lazy way of saying watch the uTube video number 2, following video #1, that you posted.:)

The lcd should show alternate On/Off pixels as per video #2... I am stepping thru video 2 in order to confirm success at each step.

Hi N,
Sorry to hear you've been ransomed, I hope you didn't need to pay it. Reminder to me, must back up.

No I didn't pay, so I lost everything back to my previous backup.

Do your two types look like this:
How do you tell the difference?

You tell the difference by the pinout connections, they are completely different.

It appears that you have both types working with Arduino.
C.

Yes, the only difference (apart from the physical pin connections) if the polarity of the LED pin - assuming you're connecting the pin to an I/O port, then you just alter the polarity of the I/O pin accordingly.

They both work equally well with Arduino, and I had both types working with PIC's happily as well.

No I didn't pay, so I lost everything back to my previous backup.

You tell the difference by the pinout connections, they are completely different.

Yes, the only difference (apart from the physical pin connections) if the polarity of the LED pin - assuming you're connecting the pin to an I/O port, then you just alter the polarity of the I/O pin accordingly.

They both work equally well with Arduino, and I had both types working with PIC's happily as well.
Hi N,
Glad to hear you were nearly backed up. A couple of days ago, I clicked an electric bill payment email, that I've never seen before. They shouldn't send something different without warning, so I've contacted them. Still waiting (3days)

Eric's program got the screen full of pixels, so onwards and upwards.
C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back