Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC-PG2 and 16F684

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar.M

Hello,
I recently ordered these chips and am waiting for them in the mail (16F684)
I am just wondering if I can program them with my PIC-PG2 programmer? It isn't listed on their site, but Spark Fun Electronics says it can program them...

If so, could someone show me where I can put the PIC in the sockets? And also, I use IC-PROG for this. I have heard it cannot program them. Are there any alternatives?

I am really sad, I thought I could but I am not sure as it isn't listed on the site. And well, I kind of was really looking forward to some more projects.

Thanks a lot,
-Omar

To program it you need it to be supported in your programmer software (the hardware is essentially the same for almost all PIC's). It generally takes a long time for new PIC's to get added, so it makes sense to use an ICD2 clone (like the InchWorm) which is updated by MicroChip as new devices become available.

hmm

The thing is, I am a student, and I don't really want to buy an expensive programmer right now-- not until I am better with my PG2.

So you are saying that I CAN program it with my PG2? How would I place it in the socket?

And IC-PROG doesn't support it but I checked out WinPICProg, and that seems to program 16F684... maybe I should use that?

-Omar

Omar.M said:
The thing is, I am a student, and I don't really want to buy an expensive programmer right now-- not until I am better with my PG2.

An InchWorm isn't expensive - and the circuits there to download so you could always build your own from scratch (although you may as well buy the excellent PCB for it).

So you are saying that I CAN program it with my PG2? How would I place it in the socket?

Same way you place any similar size PIC.

And IC-PROG doesn't support it but I checked out WinPICProg, and that seems to program 16F684... maybe I should use that?

WinPicProg doesn't support it, you might try WinPic800?.

you can built it(InchWorm) ur self, and i think it is not expensive programmer.
R u from Pakistan??

Thanks,
What I meant about placing it in the socket is, the programmer has marked areas where you stick you PIC into, areas for 8, 18, 40 pin PIC chips. But there is no marking for the 14 pin chips. Thus, I do not know where to put it in:
(you can see it here, what I mean:) **broken link removed**

Edit: I was searching around and I found this... is this any good?
https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/winpicpr.html

Omar.M said:
Thanks,
What I meant about placing it in the socket is, the programmer has marked areas where you stick you PIC into, areas for 8, 18, 40 pin PIC chips. But there is no marking for the 14 pin chips. Thus, I do not know where to put it in:
(you can see it here, what I mean:) **broken link removed**

Check which pins are used, then look where they connect to - I've done 14 pin ones, and I seen to recall I fitted it where 18 pin ones go? - but it's a good while back now.

Edit: I was searching around and I found this... is this any good?
https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/winpicpr.html

Never used it, but it lists the chip you want.

Omar.M said:
What I meant about placing it in the socket is, the programmer has marked areas where you stick you PIC into, areas for 8, 18, 40 pin PIC chips. But there is no marking for the 14 pin chips.

This is the pin lay-out:
12->clock
13->data
4->Vpp
1->Vdd
14->GND

Most 8 pin PICs have the same lay-out (PIC12F629). You should check if that area is wired this way. If this is the case, you may insert the PIC into an 8 pin socket and the socket into the 8 pin area.

Last edited:
Omar.M said:
If so, could someone show me where I can put the PIC in the sockets?

All you have to do is follow the markings on the PG2. With the serial connector facing up, pin 1 will always be on the left. Line up pin 1 of your PIC with appropriate line on the programmer. Have you read the tutorials on the Sparkfun website? There are a couple that cover the PG2 and ICPROG.

**broken link removed**

Yes

Yes, I understand that, but I am trying to use a 14 pin device with this programmer. There is no marking that tells me where I can put the 14 pin, 16F684-I/P Device. I read the tutorial, it tells me I can do it but it is kind of hard to understand.

-Omar

Ahh! I see your dilemma now. Off hand I do not know the pin-out differences and similarities between the 14 pin packages and all the others. Unless someone can quickly tell you where to plug it in, you have 3 options. First is to open up the datasheets for 28, 18, and 8 pin parts and see if the power, ground, MCLR, data, and clock lines line up with the 14 pin package. Your second option is to go over the schematic in detail to figure out if there is a location that satisfies the requirements in your first option.

Your third and best option is to use ICSP. Plug your PIC into a breadboard and attach the ICSP cable to your programmer. If you do not have a mating header for the ICSP cable to install in your breadboard, you can simply insert jumper wires into the connector on the cable. The pin in the ICSP header that is closest to the ICSP silkscreen label is the Vpp line. It gets connected to MCLR or pin 4. The second pin is Vdd (+5V) and gets connected to Vdd or pin 1. The third pin is Vss (GND) and gets connected to Vss or pin 14. The fourth pin is the ICSP data signal which gets connected to pin 13. The fifth pin is the ICSP clock signal which gets connected to pin 12. The sixth pin is not used.

Quick summary assuming the pin closest to the ICSP silkscreen is pin 1; here is the ICSP cable to PIC pin mapping.

ICSP - PIC
1 - 4
2 - 1
3 - 14
4 - 13
5 - 12
6 - n/a

Yay

yay! Yes, that is my dilemma, exactly!
Thanks so much for your time and help! That totally helped. I will try that!

-Omar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back