Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC-microcontroller project

Status
Not open for further replies.

thendo

Hi! everyone!

i am just a new beginner, i trying to learn how to program, i have a project that i have to do, but i don't know where to start. Here is the project: An Irrigation System Controller using either PIC.

i don't know which PIC to choose, where do i begin?

kindly waiting for your reply

:oops: [/quote]

Since you are starting you need to know what you need and how to get it.

So you want to use a PIC, then you need to choose one. I would recommend a book with projects and with the examples in the programming languages you want to use. But here is how I would get started.

:arrow: YOu need a PIC, Most people get started with a 16FXXX, anything like a 16F84A, 16F877, 16F876. The 16F84A is very popular as a starting PIC. Use one that will have enough I/O to control as your project needs.

:arrow: So you have your PIC choosen... you need to program it. Needless to say you need a programmer that programs your PIC. There are plenty of those out there among them you have the EPIC from melabs, JDM, PIC Pro, NOPPP, etc, Find one according to you busget. You want to make sure it works so I would recommend the EPIC so you can learn about pics and not get stuck building a unrealiable programmer. BUt that is my humble opinion

:arrow: So you can program now, you can choose then your programming language, you have to choose amoong alot of alternatives. Assembler (the free tedious route, medium learning curve-long development time), PICBASIC (Medium Price, Low lerninc curve-Fast development time), CCS or C (High Price, High learning curve if you don't know already- fast compact code and development time). THere are other programs that you may wish to look at.

So now you are able to program a PIC all you need is to create your first program, the one an unbeatable Blink program. Make a LED blink and get to know the PIC so you can start your project.

Happy Programming. :wink:

Ivancho

PIC Laguage

I am selling my PicBasic Pro Software, https://www.melabs.com. I am selling it for US$ 60.00, you can buy it with your groupmates or classmates.

Your project was also the project of my classmates during our undergrads so I can give you some inputs about irrigation systems.

Thanks.

thendo said:
Hi! everyone!

i am just a new beginner, i trying to learn how to program, i have a project that i have to do, but i don't know where to start. Here is the project: An Irrigation System Controller using either PIC.

i don't know which PIC to choose, where do i begin?

kindly waiting for your reply

:oops:
[/quote]

It will cost a bit but would be much more worthwhile purchasing a development kit with software and a course tutorial

First off, before u even decide to use a microcontroller work out the INs and the OUTs.

Then check somewhere like www.piclist.com its realy a goldmine of "the right way" of solving things.

Then u need to calisfy the inputs, are you going to need to use a BUS for data or address? are they any anolouge IO.

the PIC for me is normally the last thing i choose.

Then you need some programming skill, i would recomend just diving in the deap end, RISC ASM is soo easy, there are only about 40 instructions/directives you need to know.

once you have worked out EVERYTHING you want your project to do, post again, with a nice diagram (we love pictures) and people will often give any insight they have.

i would strongly recomend against buying ANYTHING until you know what exactly your doing, if you do need to buy anything, i do fine on "scraps" and a prototype board (often called breadboards) PIC'ing is cheap. very cheap. All the software you need you can get free from microchip, along with documentation, places like piclist and here provide you with solutions to any hurdles u run into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back