Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic Micro Input surge protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmythefool

I'm wondering if any of you guys have any experience with EMC surge testing on Microcontroller inputs.
I have attached a schematic (hopefully) of how I intended to protect my input from the surge test (1000v). I will be using a screened cable, which will help.

I don't have a clue on how much current will be induced through the cable screening onto the cores.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Jim

Attachments

• No volt contact Input.jpg
    No volt contact Input.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 717
There are always optocouplers if you need full isolation.

hi,

Not knowing the envronment the circuit is working.?
but the protection you have seems OK for 1KV.

You could if required replace the standard opto coupler with a length of fibre optic cable and use a fibre optic driver/receiver.

The schematic is too big to look at. It would fill my entire neighborhood so I can only see a small piece of it at a time.

The schematic is too big to look at. It would fill my entire neighborhood so I can only see a small piece of it at a time.

hi,
Is this any smaller for you.?:)

Attachments

• esp06 Jun. 10.gif
    esp06 Jun. 10.gif
    58.1 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
Ty for your replies :)
What I have had trouble in finding out, is what effect a 1KV surge has on the conductors of a twisted pair shielded cable. Is the screening 100% effective? or does it just attenuate the surge? I've googled for hours, but most information seems to be about surge test the mains input, and not I/O inputs. If the shielding can block the surge completely, then an opto-coupler might be un-necessary

Thanks Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back