PIC MCLR pin: Can Pullup Resistor to Vdd causes problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eblc1388

Hi guys, any comments?

The following is a quote from the book, referring to PIC16C73:

Designing Embedded Hardware
By John Catsoulis
Publisher: O'Reilly
Pub Date: May 2005
ISBN: 0-596-00755-8

Interesting, I didn't work with 16C so I don't have any experience with such behaviour. I suppose this might be a problem with 16C only, so there is no reason to talk about it (seriously, would you design a project with 16C nowadays?), and maybe Author experienced this problem once on a single chip and he made it a general rule?

eblc1388 said:
Hi guys, any comments?

The following is a quote from the book, referring to PIC16C73:

I've never heard of such a problem, and considering the low capacitance of the pin you would need a very high value pull-up to potentially cause problems.

It's also a fairly obscure PIC, and not one you're likely to be using?.

Yes, I think so too. As those PICs with ICSP would need at least a resistor and a diode connection on MCLR pin, so I think this cannot be a problem on them or else they will not work. But Microchip do specify a schottky and not an oridinay diode.

For what it's worth, I'm now using a 10K pullup and a 1N4148 on MCLR on my 16F877A's development board w/ICSP, and haven't noticed a single failure to reset...

This was a problem with the early PICs like the PIC16C5X family. It is documented in the datasheet. However, I never experienced this problem personally. In fact, they recommend special reset circuitry. This has been eliminated with the latter PICs with powerup timer and built-in brownout circuitry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…