Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC - driving a shift register in C

Status
Not open for further replies.

robz

Hello people,

got a question for one of my projects. I'm using the PIC18F87J11 for a project and i need to make a shift register. I'll use 3 "normal" I/O lines for creating one. First line for data, second for a clock and third for enable. The lines are directly connected to a CPLD (simplified FPGA), which implemeted a shift register an that part is already working.

Now i'll have to write code in C (beacause my hole project is in C) to create those 3 lines which will drive the shift register (in the CPLD).

I can create clock signals by setting the output high, wait for a while, setting the output low and soo on. But is there a smarter way to do it?

And how can i create a 8 bit serial bit stream? maybe with some shift left/right instructions?

Please help me by solving this problem. Thank You ! :)

here is the sample where 74595 is used (shift register with latched output)

Code:
#define S_CLOCK PORTD.F3
#define S_CLEAR PORTD.F1
#define S_DATA  PORTD.F0
#define S_STORE PORTD.F2

#define STORE S_STORE =1; S_STORE =0

void SEND(unsigned short x){
  S_CLOCK = 0;
  S_DATA = x;
  asm{
    nop
  }
  S_CLOCK = 1;
  S_DATA = 0;
}

void main(){
  unsigned short h,l;
  unsigned short i;

TRISD = 0;
  PORTD = 0;

STORE;
  S_CLOCK = 1;
  S_CLEAR = 1;

h = 0b10101101;
  l = 0b11011001;

//send 2 bytes
  for (i=0;i<8;i++){
     SEND(l & 0x01);
     l = l >> 1;
  }
  for (i=0;i<8;i++){
     SEND(h & 0x01);
     h = h >> 1;
  }
  STORE;
}

If you use "unlatched" shift registers, then you do not need S_STORE line nor STORE define as all changes are immediate

100 shift registers?? You mean 100 seven segment displays? For what purpose..

I have a simple 8 shift register hook up to a pic16f877a! Using 74ls323 shift registers... But the code ois interrupt driven..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back