Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC development board

Status
Not open for further replies.

kta22

Hi guys ...can anybody help me with a development board (schematic ) with LCD and LED-s and some code examples for it , i want to use it with pic16f84 especially .
thanks,kta

The 16F84 is all but obsolete, target an up to date device, perhaps the 16F88 or larger, or better, start out with an 18F device.

There are loads of schematics for PIC development boards free on the net...google is your friend...
I would recommend using the Junebug from Bill at Blue Room Electronics, you can buy it in kit form or ready built and would be a much better starting point for you.

rgds

Yeah, I agree with tunedwolf - The Junebug is pretty much all you would need as it has a 18F1320 (correct me if im wrong) that you can muck around with using the LED's, etc.

Otherwise Developement boards are quite expensive from Ebay..

Thanks for the recommendations, the Firefly includes a 16F88 a nice chip but in my books the 18F1320 on the Junebug is easier to use and great language support.

You could wire up a 16F84 as it was the 16F88 if that's all that's available in your region. No Debug support, A/D or USART in the 16F84 though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations, the Firefly includes a 16F88 a nice chip but in my books the 18F1320 on the Junebug is easier to use and great language support.

You could wire up a 16F84 as it was the 16F88 if that's all that's available in your region. No Debug support, A/D or USART in the 16F84 though.

The F84(A) is great for starting up with PIC's, However I read somewhere that is being phased out, or has been replaced by succeeding PIC's

The F84(A) is great for starting up with PIC's, However I read somewhere that is being phased out, or has been replaced by succeeding PIC's

It was replaced last century by the 16F628, but appears to have been re-released at a highly inflated price for all the people who seem to want to use this long obselete device.

the only advantage i see for the 84a is the lack of ADCs/Comparators you need to disable in order to use a port for simple I/O.
and also the small register set.

i still wouldnt say it was worth it up against the likes of the 628 or 88.

heres that link:
http://finitesite.com/d3jsys/16F628.html

Last edited:
Well not much difference in code;

Code:
CMCON0 = %111           
ANSEL  = 0
:)

I agree with Nigel here, they are selling them at 400% the original street price, amazing! For more or less nothing, they are really outdated an other wise useless.

I remember using F84s in the day for data stream logging and such. More or less everything at that time was a OTP 509 or F84. I also remember using the UV erasable 509 version(exact number escapes my memory). Man EEPs really did change the world. I remember waiting, tapping fingers for the cycle(s) to complete...

A DOS box,F84 and max232 and we were all set..lol

-BaC

the only advantage i see for the 84a is the lack of ADCs/Comparators you need to disable in order to use a port for simple I/O.
and also the small register set.

i still wouldnt say it was worth it up against the likes of the 628 or 88.

heres that link:
http://finitesite.com/d3jsys/16F628.html

Code:

Code:

CMCON0 = %111           
ANSEL  = 0

AAARRRGGHH!!!!! MY EYES!!!!! C-code on a 16f!!!!!!!
ITS WRONG I SAY!!!! WRONG!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ITS WRONG I SAY!!!! WRONG!!!!!

No, it can't be can it? There are people out there that want to rule the world with C, or BASIC and their bagfull of 12C508's.:):):)

Code:

Code:

CMCON0 = %111           
ANSEL  = 0

ITS WRONG I SAY!!!! WRONG!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thats not C at all, it's Basic. In C it would be,
Code:
CMCON0 = %111[COLOR="Red"];[/COLOR]          
ANSEL  = 0[COLOR="red"];[/COLOR]
:D:D

Actually, BoostC is pretty good on the 16 series chips.

Mike.

Well really I am a pascal guy :Þ It should read;
Code:
CMCON0 := %111;           
ANSEL  := 0;
Or In C
Code:
CMCON0 = %111;           
ANSEL  = 0;

But if you wish;

Code:
movlw	B'00000111'
movwf	CMCON
banksel ANSEL
clrf	ANSEL

Better? Remember, we can use In-Line asm if we wish :Þ

EDIT: Agreed 3v0 and Milke:)
-BaC
No, it can't be can it? There are people out there that want to rule the world with C, or BASIC and their bagfull of 12C508's.:):):)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back