Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC demo boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

Other than pin count, what are the differences beween the Microchip PIC Low Pin Count (DM164120-1), the 28 Pin (DM164120-3) and the 18 Pin (DM164120-4) Demo Boards? Can I just purchase the 28 pin board and use it for all DIP PICs or is there something that would make it incompatible with lower pin count chips?

I would like to customize it with a ZIF socket and add a cable to plug into a prototype board.

Thanks,
Dale

The smaller PICs will have a different pin arrangement than the 28 pin PIC
If you want to see what a demo board looks like that supports many DIP PICs take a look at all the sockets on an Easy PIC board.

Last edited:
With the Lo Pin Count board, you can use selected 8, 14 and 20 pin devices.

With the 28, you are limited to the chip that comes with the board.

Notice I said selected devices. Not all 8 14 or 20 will work with the board. They must have the same power, ground and MCLR pins as the 16F690 that comes with the board.

Thanks for the information. The Easy PIC board looks flexible, but it is larger (and has a lot more features) than what I was contemplating. Overall a good value I think.

This brings up another question. I am just getting started with PICs and was contemplating a PICKit2 for programming. Do I need to purchase different demo boards for prototype programming when using the PICKit2?
Thanks,
Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back