Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC C compilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKnight

Hi all.

Can you point out which is the best PIC C compiler, if there is a best by any means. I have mikroC, Hi Tech and CCS. In everyone the code seems to be different, and modified. So which is the best supported, or most stable, all in all worth working with?

Share your experience and knowledge about the compilers.

Thanks.

Hi TK. It really has to do with the processor family that you're using. Personally, I use HI-TECH for the PIC16fs, and C18 for the PIC18Fs. My favorite of the two is definitely C18, but I only recently started using HI-TECH. There is also a HI-TECH compiler designed for the 18Fs, so it's really the kind of thing you need to decide for yourself. The best thing about HTC and C18 is that the lite versions are free, whereas mikroC requires a license (unless there's a lite version I don't know about).

Anyway, it all comes down to personal preference. Try a few different ones, spend some time with each one, and see what you prefer.

I hope this helps!
Regards,
Der Strom

Hi D!

Yes, but I was wondering is there any major difference in the code? Like I said, the code in different compilers seems to be written differently, or at least the header files.

Is HiTech C well documented, or should I ask this, can an seen code from mikroC for example be transfered into HiTech C with not much modification, and reverse.

Are there any benefits for using HiTech C?

Thanks. :)

MiKroC is good for 2 K Free Boost C is good

I like MikroC all but the library's You can't look at how there made

HI-TECH and C18 are well documented, and the libraries are generally easy to follow. Also, if I am not mistaken, HI-TECH and C18 are actually made by Microchip, whereas mikroC is not. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, a benefit to using Microchip's compilers are their multiple forums, where you can ask for specific help. It has helped me a lot in the past.

Well, on mikroC's site it says mikroElektronika, so probably not the same thing. mikroC also have forum. I will try going with mikroC for now, if not then with HiTech.

Thanks and all the best D.

Yes, it looks very friendly to me. I'll try to find some tutorials for it. For now sticking with it.

Thanks BB and D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back