Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC-Based MIDI Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashsite

Banned
This is kind of a tricky one since I am looking for practical assistance (ie: "real" infomation that can be used to create a functional device).

I'm trying to build a multi-channel, general purpose controller utilizing the MIDI interface and computer MIDI sequencer to implement it. but, it doesn't have to be a fully functional MIDI interface. It does not need to send (that can be done with other means), just receive. It just needs to recognize the note ON and Note OFF data frames (can ignore status frames) for 8 or 16 notes (one or two octaves). Do note that I'm not trying to "reinvent" the MIDI interface for a computer. In fact, I need something that will act like a simplified music keyboard (If the circuitry wasn't so integrated into a chip that it's virtually impossible to acces, I'd consider actually using a modified keyboard).

I think a PIC would work well. It would need to do the real-time UART function, decode the applicable MIDI data frames (note ON and note OFF), and output a 3 or 4 bit octal or hexadecimal word to an attached 1-of-8 or 1-of-16 demux (plus a one-bit control line). Simple enough, eh?

Unfortunately, when it comes to programming PALs or PICs, Microcontrollers or microprocessors I'm a total zero. I can implement this function with discrete logic but, figure a programmed device would work better.

Anyway, to be able to assist with this you'll need a good, solid understanding of the way MIDI works as well as a good and practical understanding of how to program a controller...and, be able to explain it to a non-programmer type in a way that, even if not fully understood, can be utilized to make a practical device. I'm not looking for you to design it...I want to do that for the educational benefit...but, I need help with this aspect of the overall design.

I'm sure this rather stark format will pare down the responses (quite possibly to zero) but, if that's okay, too. I'll know for next time.

This MUST have been done but, all my search results have turned up either music applications or specialized things that are not this...

Last edited:
I figured it'd been done...

Nigel Goodwin said:
Here's a page you might find helpful?

Actually, yes. I found a page where the guy did exactly what I had in mind and very much in a similar manner. No sense for me to re-invent the wheel so, I guess any PIC stuff I may do will be for another project.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back