Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC based Intelligent Garden Light Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonaga

I'm doing the project entitled above for my final year thesis project. I have some ideas to put into the project. The light controller will not only can be setting manually with the preset function but it will also equip with motion sensor so the light will turn on when it detects motion of somebody (this is useful at night because it can save energy and it will turn on only when it detects person walking pass it). i also have an idea tu equip the light with light activated relay so the brightness of the light can be automatically controlled depends on the weather.

So, i would like to ask anybody opinion about my project. Can anybody give me suggestion on the schematic of the motion detector. It should be simple. And how i want to interface the two sensors circuit with PIC? Is it connect the relay to the PIC ports? Is using PIC16F84A is enough for my project? I want to thanks to anyone who response to this. :D

dragonaga said:
I'm doing the project entitled above for my final year thesis project. I have some ideas to put into the project. The light controller will not only can be setting manually with the preset function but it will also equip with motion sensor so the light will turn on when it detects motion of somebody (this is useful at night because it can save energy and it will turn on only when it detects person walking pass it). i also have an idea tu equip the light with light activated relay so the brightness of the light can be automatically controlled depends on the weather.

So, i would like to ask anybody opinion about my project. Can anybody give me suggestion on the schematic of the motion detector. It should be simple. And how i want to interface the two sensors circuit with PIC? Is it connect the relay to the PIC ports? Is using PIC16F84A is enough for my project? I want to thanks to anyone who response to this. :D

I'll mention it yet again, the 16F84A has been effectively obselete for many years, it was replaced by the 16F628 last century! - so it's not a device you should be using for new projects.

The motion sensor part uses a PIR, these are freely available at any electrical or DIY store, and already does most of what you require!. Turning a light on when motion is detected, only staying on for a specified time, and only working when light levels are low enoguh to require it.

What were you wanting the PIC to do?.

sorry, i'm a new guy here. but thanks for ur info about the new PIC. i'll use it for my project rather than PIC16F84A.

i'm using the PIC for controlling the two sensors time period. the dark activated relay will only functioning during daylight (when the light level of environment goes down the light will turn on) while the motion detector will activate at night.

and maybe i will add other feature like LCD display and keypad so the resetting time will be easier. but for the time being, i want to concentrate for the 2 sensors.

dragonaga said:
sorry, i'm a new guy here. but thanks for ur info about the new PIC. i'll use it for my project rather than PIC16F84A.

i'm using the PIC for controlling the two sensors time period. the dark activated relay will only functioning during daylight (when the light level of environment goes down the light will turn on) while the motion detector will activate at night.

and maybe i will add other feature like LCD display and keypad so the resetting time will be easier. but for the time being, i want to concentrate for the 2 sensors.

To start with, buy a PIR sensor! - you can then strip it for the parts you need - it's completely pointless to build your own PIR, particularly obtaining and focusing a suitable fresnel lens. A complete PIR detector will probably cost you less than just the sensor IC used, and will also have the light detector circuit.

As part of your project, draw out the circuit of the PIR, and then document your modifications - this should get you decent marks!. Personally I would aim at modifying it to give two outputs, one from the PIR (movement/non-movement), and the other from the light sensor (either light/dark or an analogue value of the light level - or you could do both - aiming for bonus marks?). Point out in your documentation that doing this is more cost effective than building it from scratch, and reduces the rest of your project to mainly software design and control.

My PIC tutorials include pretty well all the parts you need, including LCD, keypad, LED's etc - and RS232 to send data to a computer if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back