Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC ADC Interrupt Timing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

Gentlemen,

Would you double check my logic please? I'd like to perform ADC conversions at 20-usec intervals (50-KHz) within an ISR using TMR2 interrupts.

Code:
;
;  ADC PWM processing (PWM pulse skipping algorithm)
;
ISR_ADC
        bcf     PIR1,TMR2IF     ; clear TMR2 interrupt flag       |B0
        movlw   DutyCyc         ; normal duty cycle value         |B0
        movwf   CCPR1L          ; assume VADC < VSET              |B0
        movf    VSET,W          ; voltage set point               |B0
        subwf   ADRESH,W        ; ADC result hi                   |B0
        skpnc                   ; VADC < VSET                     |B0
        clrf    CCPR1L          ; VADC > VSET, skip pulse         |B0
        bsf     ADCON0,GO_DONE  ; start next ADC conversion       |B0
        retfie                  ;                                 |B0
;
I'm assuming that after setting the GO_DONE bit in the ISR that a conversion will take place and that the next ADC acquistion period will be fullfilled by the time the next 20-usec interrupt occurs.

Will this work?

TIA. Regards, Mike

Last edited:
I don't completely understand what you are trying to do but I did notice that the movf VSET would default to placing the value back into VSET, is this what you intended? Also, if you previously had a value of zero in CCPR1L then any write will be immediately latched into the PWM module (I think).

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I fixed that movf instruction. Thanks for catching it.

The TMR2 interrupt is the same as the PWM period match when the previous CCPR1L change takes effect.

Now I have had time to figure out what you are trying to do, I think your logic is fine. I'm not as sure about your timings. TAD (conversion time per bit) has a minimum of 1.6uS (typically 2.0) and it takes 11 per conversion = 17.6uS + 2*TAD after conversion. The sample and hold capacitor is disconnected during conversion and when reconnected requires around 19uS acquisition time.

So, I think your scheme will work but at about half your current speed.

BTW, is this some sort of SMPS design. If so, I would be very interested in your results.

Mike.
P.S. I'm assuming 16 series.

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
My first thought is you aren't saving and restoring any registers?, so it's soon going to crash - as an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM you must save W and STATUS.

Or, your main code is
Code:
Here        goto   Here
:D :D

Mike.

On a more serious note, I have in the past had my main loop test a bit which is set by the IRQ and not bothered with the context saving as it makes the IRQ response quicker. I assume Mike K8LH has done something similar.

Mike.

Pommie said:
On a more serious note, I have in the past had my main loop test a bit which is set by the IRQ and not bothered with the context saving as it makes the IRQ response quicker. I assume Mike K8LH has done something similar.

Presumably you mean polling the output of the timer?, and NOT using interrupts - this isn't what he's doing though, and his ISR routine certainly destroys W and STATUS.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Presumably you mean polling the output of the timer?, and NOT using interrupts - this isn't what he's doing though, and his ISR routine certainly destroys W and STATUS.

No, I mean polling a bit set by the IRQ code. As long as the test in the main code is a btfss/c then you can destroy W and Status in the IRQ and your main code will work fine.

Mike.

Pommie said:
No, I mean polling a bit set by the IRQ code. As long as the test in the main code is a btfss/c then you can destroy W and Status in the IRQ and your main code will work fine.

No it won't, even if your main code does nothing else except BTFSS/C (which it can't), destroying STATUS will probably alter the outcome of the test anyway! (depending what you're testing).

The ISR routine shown destroys both W and STATUS, so you can't use either of those in your main program - because you never know when they are going to be altered.

Nigel Goodwin said:
My first thought is you aren't saving and restoring any registers?, so it's soon going to crash - as an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM you must save W and STATUS.
Hi Nigel,

I knew I should have qualified that code (grin).

Aside from the initial setup, the Main program simply performs an endless loop and the ISR does all the real work of handling bit-banged SPI input and that ADC-to-PWM control loop.

Mike

Pommie said:
Now I have had time to figure out what you are trying to do, I think your logic is fine. I'm not as sure about your timings. TAD (conversion time per bit) has a minimum of 1.6uS (typically 2.0) and it takes 11 per conversion = 17.6uS + 2*TAD after conversion. The sample and hold capacitor is disconnected during conversion and when reconnected requires around 19uS acquisition time.

So, I think your scheme will work but at about half your current speed.

BTW, is this some sort of SMPS design. If so, I would be very interested in your results.

Mike.
P.S. I'm assuming 16 series.
Hi Mike,

The code is for a 12F683 boost SMPS.

Thank you for the timing info'. I'm going to breadboard the circuit and start experimenting.

Mike

Attachments

• 12F683 Boost Circuit.JPG
    12F683 Boost Circuit.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,338
Mike,
Have you considered using the comparator with Vref. It would only give you 16 (maybe 32) possible voltages but would be a lot faster. You would then also have the distinction of being the only person I have heard of to use the comparators.

Mike.

Mike,

I did think about the comparator with internal Vref, but as you mentioned, it doesn't offer very much resolution.

I don't really know where the experiments will lead. It's just something I'd like to become more familiar with.

Take care. Regards, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back