Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic Adc Input Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard.c

Happy New Year to One and All.

I'm using an amplified ADC input circuit very similar to the one in Nigels tutorials, but feeding into the 10 bit adc of a 18f4520 chip.

The signal, for test purposes, is 0 - 5v and this converts fine, however the lowest 1.25v and the top 1.25v of the signal are effectively useless for my needs. Original signal source approx -50mv to +50mv.

If I could loose these parts of the voltage and then amplify the resultant 2.5 upto 5 v , I could achieve twice the resolution on the range I'm really interested in.

My problem is how can I do this ? - is there an easy way to limit the signal in this way ?

thanks

Richard

richard.c said:
Happy New Year to One and All.

I'm using an amplified ADC input circuit very similar to the one in Nigels tutorials, but feeding into the 10 bit adc of a 18f4520 chip.

The signal, for test purposes, is 0 - 5v and this converts fine, however the lowest 1.25v and the top 1.25v of the signal are effectively useless for my needs. Original signal source approx -50mv to +50mv.

If I could loose these parts of the voltage and then amplify the resultant 2.5 upto 5 v , I could achieve twice the resolution on the range I'm really interested in.

My problem is how can I do this ? - is there an easy way to limit the signal in this way ?

thanks

Richard

hi,
Basically what you have to do is to use a OPA, apply an offset voltage to the OPA so that the lowest voltage of your input range gives a zero voltage output.
Then amplify the signal voltage so that you get a +5V out for your highest input voltage.
Attached is an example on how to do it, this circuit is for an altimeter with a small output and an offset voltage.
You should be able to modify it for your application.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back