Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic A2D Input Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard.c

Hi,

I'm using a 18F2520 pic with an amplified sensor signal of 0 - 1v, which I would like to convert at a maximum resolution.

Having read Nigels tutorial on the use of Vref I can appreciate the handiness of using this method.
Equally, I was wondering if I modified the amplifier to a 4 or 5 volt output, it would seem to be a simpler way, plus saving the use of the Vref Port.

However what I would like to know is does the voltage shunt Vref method actually give a significant improvement on the stability of the resultant conversions over the basic VDD 5v method ?

Also wondered if there is any merit in fitting a 5.1v zener to the RA0 pin incase something caused the amplifier to exceed 5v.

thanks

Richard

I would use both an amplifier and a voltage reference. The amplifier provides some gain (note that there is a minimum value for Vref and your signal is too low if you want high accuracy) and a low output impedance. The precision reference provides a stable voltage with low drift; its tolerance is usually little if compared to a voltare regulator IC. For example the output of a 7805 can be anywhere beetwen 4.75 and 5.25 V.

Yes, using the Vref with a precision reference makes it more accurate and repeatable - and overcomes the limitations of the opamp feeding the input. There's no need for a zener, as the input is clamped anyway, which is why I have a series resistor feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back