Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC 18F97J60 ethernet won't fire up - is RBias value critical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deweyusa

Hi

I have a PIC 18F97J60 on a custom board that I've been trying to get the ethernet up and running on for a while, and it just won't cooperate. By "running", I mean simply responding with TX/RX lights on the jack.

The controller is being programmed just fine, and other GPIOs are working. When the firmware is loaded on a PICDEM.net 2 board, the lights on its ethernet jack fire up as expected, right when a cat 5 cable between the board and a router is plugged into it.

On my design, however, no luck as yet. The aforementioned router is not detecting my custom board either.

So, a couple questions. First, anything specific to target? One thing I notice is that the RBias resistor is a fairly precise value in the datasheet - 2.26K I think. I'm trying to get away with something like 2.2 K. How critical is this value, and could that be my problem?

Also, I'm using a different ethernet jack than the reference design, with a couple swapped pins, but from what I can tell, the internals of my jack are the same as the original jack with just a different pinout. Is there anything special I would need to know about the differences between ethernet jacks with internal magnetics?

Thanks for any help!
-Dewey

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back