Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic 18f internal osc

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard.c

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone had succeeded in using the 18F chips internal 31k hz oscillator as a replacement for a 32k external crystal in a Real Time Clock.

Have seen some old postings saying it could be done, but nothing currently showing and my own coding attempts out by several mins per day - chip running at 4 meg.

I'd love to know why Microchip specifically produced a divider to that frequency if it was not intended for a RTC

thanks

Richard

richard.c said:
Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone had succeeded in using the 18F chips internal 31k hz oscillator as a replacement for a 32k external crystal in a Real Time Clock.

Have seen some old postings saying it could be done, but nothing currently showing and my own coding attempts out by several mins per day - chip running at 4 meg.

I'd love to know why Microchip specifically produced a divider to that frequency if it was not intended for a RTC

It's presumably just an RC oscillator?, so useless as a real time clock source. It's 32KHz simply because that's the common frequency to use for low power consumption - the lower the speed, the lower the power used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back