Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC 18 On-Board Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

nziebart

PIC 18 Ob-Board Programming

Hello,

I am a programmer and I'm working with a company to try to allow one of their machines to be controlled by an iPad. The machine has a circuit board with a PIC 18Fxxx microcontroller attached. Assuming that I can install a Wi-Fi module on the board, is there a way that I could reprogram the microcontroller as it currently sits on the board?

Sorry if this question is silly; I am not entirely familiar with the process for programming microcontrollers. The image below will hopefully clarify my explanation. It shows the controller seated on the board.

View attachment 60711

Hello,

I am a programmer and I'm working with a company to try to allow one of their machines to be controlled by an iPad. The machine has a circuit board with a PIC 18Fxxx microcontroller attached. Assuming that I can install a Wi-Fi module on the board, is there a way that I could reprogram the microcontroller as it currently sits on the board?

Sorry if this question is silly; I am not entirely familiar with the process for programming microcontrollers. The image below will hopefully clarify my explanation. It shows the controller seated on the board.

View attachment 60712

Last edited:
Ask the company if an in circuit serial programming (ICSP) socket was part of the original design.

Mike.

Yes, that is a programming socket. However, without the original source and a good knowledge of the hardware it would be difficult to reprogram.

Mike.

Right; I'm thinking my next step should be to request the source code and hardware specifications from the board manufacturer.

Right; I'm thinking my next step should be to request the source code and hardware specifications from the board manufacturer.

Good luck. Unless it is open source (or something like that) then a company is not going to give you their proprietry information.

Good luck. Unless it is open source (or something like that) then a company is not going to give you their proprietry information.

He does state in his original post that he is working with the company.

Mike.

The PIC18F series can do low-voltage, In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP), and only needs a clock, data and one other line to do it. If your Wi-Fi module has a controller on board with general-purpose I/O lines, you could do it that way. Otherwise, you are going to need to add a second little processor to do the handshaking with the PIC programming routine.

Here's where you can find the particulars:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back