Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC 16F84 "Pic code protected"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyd24

Hey all,
This is my first thread in the forum, hope someone can help me & help I can help others. :)

Just wondering if I could unprotect a PIC chip (16F84), I already have a PIC reader (Elvis prgrammer using software "Multiprog v1.9) and when trying to read it displays this,

"Pic code protected, operation aborted !"

I'm trying to read a chip used in a box (analogue technololgy, very old) to understand how it works.
If anyone can guide me in the right direction it would be much appreciated (either how do do this procedure or where I can get a copy of this software).

I read that it can be done in Picprog v3.1, but there are so many projects like this when searched in google, not sure which one to use (couldn't find Picprog v3.1 as stated in another forum).

Best regards,
Sun

Bloody cheap then!!

What is the solution if the Micro Type/Brand isn't there anymore???

TKs

Thnaks

Thanks Privacygeek,

It seems like a v. long winded way (& expensive)! Thanks for the info though!
Much appreciated!

Regards,
Sunny

Ok, the answer you are looking for is in this text..... https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/07/UCAM-CL-TR-630.pdf

But you are gonna have to read it! and work for it! I am not going to tell you how to do it, so please don't ask, if you want cable-box code placed in your lap, I am pretty sure you are in the wrong forum!

You will need to understand how to manipulate your pic-programmer to do what it required to get the CP off of a 16F84, it's not hard, if you put the effort into understanding what is going on

The reason that I have posted this link? Well as having been on the sharp end of being ripped off on one of my products, it's not a good idea to remain "blinkered" in the belief the the micro you are using is well protected. The F84 is a very old lady now, and should really (imho) be retired, use a 16F627A instead, very cheap, and alot more secure than an 84 (although not perfect!).

Just my 2pen'th.

Regards

MATT! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back