Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC 12F629 still current ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they are readily available from all the big component suppliers, for around £1

You can also use the PIC12F675, that a twin to the 629, it just has an extra analog input capability.

You need a separate programmer. A PICKIT3 is possibly the cheapest approach, you can get them on ebay for 10- or so.

The program is written in PIC assembly language and uses the execution times of the instructions as delay times, in places.
You would need to learn the assembly language of any other CPU family and re-create the functions and timing to get it to work.

It also means you cannot simply use any other PIC that runs at a different speed or has different instruction timing, without re-writing the program; it's built around those PIC12 devices.

There are various other decoder programs available using different PICs, eg. such as the MERG ones.

Edit - example programmer on ebay:
**broken link removed**

If you're not wanting to look at the code, I've got some 12F629 ics and I could program a couple and send then to you. I assume you are in the UK. Send me a private message if interested.

There are likely to be several forum members who could do the same.

I would suggest that you fit the ICs in sockets.

You can also substitute the 12F683 for the 629/675 chips. I interchange the 675 and 683 on several projects. The 683 has twice the memory, ram and EEPROM capacity should you ever need it later.

Hi everone
Wow what a great response to my enquiry. Much appreciated.
Seems at this stage I will go for the original 629 etc, maybe with help from Diver300 (expect a pm from me in next day or so). Then later if all goes well I will get a PicKit3.
Thankyou
Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back