Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC 10F200 programming -- how ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiny2

I want to do a little project with a 10F200. The ones I have are in sot23-6 pin pack. I notice in the release notes of my picstart-plus programmer, it claims to be able to handle these devices with an adaptor (which I don't have).

So does this mean that I can use my picstart-plus with flying leads to programme my 10F200 ? If so, how might I 'connect' the sot23-6 pack to my programmer , ie which pin goes where ?

regards..

the pins go where they're supposed to go. consult the datasheet for a pinout. the 6 pin 10f has the same two serial programming pins as a 144 pin 18f.

you'll probably want to grab (or make) some sot to dip converters, to make interfacing with that small chip a bit easier.

edit: to save the trouble of consulting the datasheet, pgd pin 1, pgc pin 3. supply pins are vdd pin 5, vss pin 2, vpp pin 6.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply.
I must admit that I've never appreciated how the picstart-plus actually programmes a part, I've just kinda been glad that it does !

Having looked at the data sheet as you suggested, so can I just connect the sot23-6 pack as if it was a pdip pack, but with the pins swapped around ?

Like:-

SOT23 PDIP
pin 1 = pin 5 (ISCPDAT)
pin 2 = pin 7 (Vss)
pin 3 = pin 4 (ISCPCLK)
pin 4 = don't care
pin 5 = pin 2 (Vdd)
pin 6 = pin 8 (MCLR)

I had wondered whether the correct adaptor from microchip had more to it than that.

regards..

Have a look in the "Readme for PICSTART Plus.txt" file ...

Section 7
2)Align Pin 1 of the 10F2xx DIP-8 package to Pin 9 of the PicStart Plus.

If you are going to treat it like a DIP, you will want to map it starting at PIN 9 on the PS+

EDIT: I'm using MPLAB7.30 - haven't looked to see if this has changed on later versions ... I bet not but ???

Last edited:
Thanks all for suggestions.
I think I now understand enough to move forward -- famous last words !

"If you are going to treat it like a DIP, you will want to map it starting at PIN 9 on the PS+" -- thanks for pointing that out :-D

I'll make a little demo pcb with flying leads to connect to the zif socket, with on-board links to isolate the 10F200 programming pins from the demo-board led and switch. At least with that I should be able to prove whether its a workable solution for prototypes.

regards..

Can you not program 10F200 "insitu"? That is, use the final board on which the device has been mounted. May be an additional connector is reqd for programming. But then it becomes much easier to change the program without removing the device. Much like FPGAs.

You can program in-situ but you only have 1 pin spare to work with (see post 3 above). I really would get a bigger chip like a 16f88 so you can do real time in-circuit debugging as well.

Mike.

I know it's an old thread, but if you do wish to use SOT23-6 packages and will be using them frequently, they can simply be popped in the 10F2XX adapter board (AC163020) socket, programmed and then soldered to the PCB. This assumes you are programming a final-release hex file though...

For development, you could use breadboard/sockets and the DIP-8 version (which is also catered for on the AC163020 **see footnote**) but this also requires removal from the breadboard/PCB for programming (to maximise the available usage of pins).

If you are solely using DIP-8 packages, apart from the 10F's being lower in cost than 12F's ($0.30 to $0.39, versus $0.41 to $0.91 in volume quantity) you are missing out on better features such as higher clock speeds, 2 extra I/O pins, larger capacity, etc. on the 12F's.

Compare features between the two families:
PIC10 MCU - Product Family - 8-bit Microcontrollers
PIC12 MCU - Product Family - 8-bit Microcontrollers

But anyway as Pommie notes, you still don't get debugging capabilites...

**Footnote**
The 10F2XX DIP-8 package does not share the familiar pin mapping of the 12F DIP-8 packages, due to the die being primarily produced for the smaller SOT & DFN packages. However, the AC163020 does have a socket on the top for the 10F's and another underneath, along with 2 X 4 pin jumpers, which does use the 12F pin mapping. Add to this a regular ICSP header and an ICD header, along with a PICkit1 header and pretty much any scenario is catered for....

For instance, you could insert a SOT23-6 or DIP-8 device into the AC163020, connect PICkit2/3/ICD to it and load a program, then plug it into an LPC Demo board and use the switch, pot, or LED's. Change something and you only need to disconnect the AC163020 from the LPC Demo board, re-flash the device, then re-insert.

HTH.

Hi Mike & HTH

My point was that I would add just a connector to the regular board to allow me to reprogram the ROM. No diagnostic capability is required. This way I will have all the four pins available for regular use and I can program the chip w/o breadboard. I think that should not present any probs, what say? In fact, I am at a starting point in this field and will be a slow learner (what else does one expect from a 64 yr old beginner?!!). But I am very keen on learning to prrogram and use these exciting devices which I missed out during my younger days in my day-to-day rush.

Admittedly, I am going to need a lot of hand-holding from all of you who have a good grip on this stuff.

Thanx a pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back