Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photoresist PCB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMike

Thanks for your help with this. I am new to the photoresist method of making my own pcbs and found that I ruined my first batch of 4 boards last night. First off I am using the Datak method with all their products to make them. After exposing the boards to the Datak Light for 12 minutes as instructed I placed them in the developer solution of the 10 to 1 mix. After
submerging the boards in the developer I could see the traces starting to appear after about 3 seconds. Within 5 to 6 seconds half the board traces were disolved and gone. What did I do wrong here? This was suppose to be easier and a better method than the transfer method. The Datak instructions only states to place the boards in the solution until the copper shows through. I think something has been left out. Any help would be appreciated.

I guess you overexposed the UV-sensitive film. Overexposure occurs when stray light (caused by the carrier film) starts exposing the traces.

My suggestion: Use a small piece of PCB-material and expose it no longer than 240 seconds to test for best results. (240 seconds is a good time when using six UV-fluorescent lamps)

If the (fine) traces don't disappear check if there are any leftovers (clouds) of the film. If so, increase exposure time slightly to 270 seconds.

To check for clouds dunk the PCB into etching solution for 30 seconds and rinse. The copper to be etched should look dull all over the board.

Boncuk

I find that old developer or developer that is too strong can result in the photoresist behaving in this manner.

Old photoresist or overexposure doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back