Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photoresist PCB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomslang

Hi

I've always been using toner transfer on magazine paper to make PCB's, but that's hard work. I decided to give photo resist a try.

Attached are 2 pics of small test boards I made. The circuit was printed on 120gsm tracing paper using a laser printer. The thinnest tracks are T8 size (the smallest Proteus will do). Exposure was done with good old sunlight @ 1 minute 10 seconds. Very happy with the results.

The 3rd picture is of the UV LED board I made, still waiting for the 200 LED's I ordered before I can give it a go.

Attachments

• DSC02985 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02985 (Medium).JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,011
  • DSC02989 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02989 (Medium).JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,133
  • DSC02995 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02995 (Medium).JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,159
PS: Making the UV board was also the first time I used carbide drill bits, and after 750 X 0.8mm holes the same bit is still going strong, only slightly starting to lift the copper on the edges of the holes... think it is still good for at least another 200 or so holes... worth the money.

Last edited:
I love photoresist PCB. Apart from one board where I had a faulty coating on it, I've always had good results.

Don't keep your developer for more than a couple of days (1 week at the most) as it tends to deteriorate very quickly and in some cases will just remove your photoresist straight off irrespective of how much you've exposed it (I learnt that the hard way).

I have used photoresist for more than 10 years. My best results are obtained with an inkjet printer; however, since I use a laser printer for everything else, my inkjet cartridges would dry out. I tried an HP LaserJet on clear transparency (3M CG3300). The toner was not very dense. I found that I could go over the toner with black dry erase marker, let it dry thoroughly, then wipe it off with a soft tissue. The transparency was much denser after that treatment and worked better for the photoresist method. One image shows the treated transparency before wiping off the dry erase. The other image shows the untreated and treated transparencies. The untreated transparency, when used to expose a board, resulted in tiny holes in the copper from its lack of uniform opacity.

My preferred method for making transparencies is still inkjet, but the treated laserjet image works almost as well.
John

Attachments

• Figure 3_dry_erase_gross.jpg
    Figure 3_dry_erase_gross.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 770
  • Figure 4_untreated vs treated_gross.jpg
    Figure 4_untreated vs treated_gross.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 827
Last edited:
Thats a good tip about using the dry wipe marker.

I've found that using a Laser printer on transparency is just about adequate - I get small pinholes and larger areas aren't brilliant but ok for prototyping.

Will have to give the marker idea a go next time I'm passing a place that sells them.

@picbits

As a hint, don't scrub back and forth either the marker or the tissue. You can scratch the resist. The solvent in the dry erase seems to soften the resist a little. I just lay on an even coat with he marker. Let it dry well ( >5 min), then wipe the excess off. If I need to wipe more than once, I turn or fold the tissue to get a fresh surface. The little curls of dry resist can also scratch the image.

I think any marker color will work, but my best results have been with black. It is more crumbly and comes off cleaner. The colors seem to contain dye and pigment.

John

Thanks, I will try the the dry marker as well when I get hold of one.

As a test I put a solid piece of laser printed sheet on a PCB, and let it sit in the sun for +-4 minutes.. which is about 4 times longer that needed and it still came out good when developed.

One thing I noticed while making toner transfers is the printer+toner you use. I have access to about 20 different printers at work, and some of the laser prints came out very bad/ full of pinholes.
ATM I am using a Lexmark X642 with toner density set to max, "transparency" chosen in paper options and "Enhance fine lines" selected.
It is allot darker than the 3 inkjets I tried. The tracing paper also holds the toner down better than tracparency paper on the test prints I did.

One thing I noticed while making toner transfers is the printer+toner you use.

That is quite true. I always mention my brand of printer, because there are significant differences. My HP4101 mfp is great for documents, but lousy for transparencies, and I suspect for toner transfer too. My old LJ4 was better for transparencies, and I hear some of the other brands (Lexmarks) are quite good.

John

Photoresist

Hi All,

I've made PCBs using photoresist material since I don't know when. (started out with asphalt laquer :D) Using transparencies of the thinnest possible thickness and as clear as a mountain creek is best.

If the 'film' is not all the way black where it should be there is the possibility to make a contact copy using photofilm (offered in many electronics shops) or touch up using an EDDING400 for thick traces and an EDDING800 for fine traces. That kind of film has a different pixel solution which covers most of the pinhead sized blind spots without influence on the edges of traces and pads.

Photoresist may be very much different using different brands. The best I know of is BUNGARD (https://www.bungard.de) which always has the same and EQUAL consistence of the photo layer. Exposure times will always be the same.

Using laser printers you might run into a problem just because of the kind of engineering. Many of those printers have a toner saving circuit which cuts back the toner if the software encounters large black areas. This results in pinholes within the copper area or even areas which might get overexposed since they are transparent.

Until now I used two different laser printers with best results even for double sided PCBs. (Scratching or cutting with a scalpel after development might damage the photoresist, resulting in a junk PCB)

The Epson EPL5700 had the toner saving option. It must be disabled printing PCB layouts using the highest possible resolution of 1,600X1,600 pixels.

Now using a FujiXerox DocuPrint203A it doesn't have that fancy option and prints clear deep black sheets of DINA4 format. (Its resolution is 1,200X1,200 pixels)

For a test make a small board sized 2X2 inches all filled with copper. The printed "layout" should be a solid black area. If there are still "clouds" visible try to reconfigure the printer setup or refer to the printer customer service for advise.

An excellent print is as black as an a..h... in a dark tunnel. (Fill the blanks :))

Regards

Hans

Last edited:
How much did all those UV LEDs cost you?

I still think tubes are the most efficient and cost effective option at the moment.

The only good thing about the LEDs is that they last for longer but since they aren't used for very long periods of time this isn't much of a advantage.

It sounds like you got a good deal at least.

Where are you buying them from?

What is the best LED type should be used ?

wavelength:
mcd:

Perhaps you should start a new thread, as your question opens a lot of issues not considered in the original thread. When you do that, be sure to give the brand of pre-sensitized board you are using and review the manufacturer's recommendations for exposure for what wavelength/ type of bulb is recommended. Some photoresists now use regular incandescent light.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back