Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photonic Crystal Concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord loh.

I am researching the internet about the concept of photonic crystals.

Wikipedia definition says that the photonic crystals are crystals that have periodic dielectrics that control the photons just as the periodic electric field controls the electrons in semiconductor crystals.

However definition from answers.com tell me that it is a crystal that is full of tiny microscopic holes separated by distances in the order of the wavelength of light.

What is dielectric in this sense? In the electronic sense it is an insulator.

From all the literature I have read(internet), I understand that the principle of Photonic crystals is diffraction.

Can anyone please clarify this.

Where can I get more information about Photonic crystals?

ADDED LATER : How does reflection occur at the atomic level?

I have been through the first 20 or so pages in Google.

Thank you.

I think a photonic dielectric is something which inhibits the absorbtion and subsequent emission of a photon. So consider a layer of holes in the lattice, there are no available electrons left to absorb a photon's energy and gain higher states, so in this case this layer stops photon's being absorbed = dielectric. Just guessing though.

Megamox

hi;
how can i plot contrast ratio versus wavelength in the RSoft software?
or did you work with RSoft?

warm regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back